Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OE front tow hooks... worth it?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i'd try and sell that tow strap with the metal hooks!

Get a good recovery strap. I believe you can get one at tractor supply co. not sure though
Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default thanks

Thanks for all the input, I will definitely ditch the metal hooks and get a better strap. Didn't really think about is shattering, that would not be cool.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I towed someone out with a trailer attached with a trailer attacked with the factory hooks. No problem at all.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they can work pretty well, but in Barnwell last January, I saw a JK with a 4 in lift and 37's get bogged down to the frame in some mud, they hooked up a winch from another JK and a snatch strap to get the right angle.

They hooked the winch directly to the stock front hooks, pulled for awhile stopped, then again, stopped, then again, and POW!!! The factory tow hook bent, then snapped off. So then they took a tree strap and dug down in the mud with a shovel and hooked the tree strap around the frame and were able to pull him out that way.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default so much for this thread

So I f******g rear ended someone yesterday, didn't even have my license plates yet. Either way, my insurance is gonna put a new bumper on it. They would give me $340(cost of an OE bumper with no hooks). I found a nice Smittybuilt for $400, only $60 out of pocket for me + a couple of shackles.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an extra set of OEM front tow hooks.. $30 plus w/e shipping is if you want them.. PM me.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
They had a 4" lift with 37s and were still using the factory bumper/tow hooks? I would think that they would have gotten an aftermarket bumper with D-rings. But maybe that's just me. Seems like that was a tough situation. Most of the time, the stock hooks work without any problems. In any case, the tow hooks are better than nothing.
oh, I agree completely.

I think they blew all of their money on the lift/tires 1st and hadn't gotten to bumpers.

I agree in most cases the front hooks will work well, but I just wanted to describe a scenario where I did see them fail.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickster
Kirs, I would get the hooks. I have been pulled out of mud traps with no problems w/the hooks. We do have deep mud holes here in Puerto Rico!!!
I already have have the hooks just want to get a recovery kit since I am new (noob) and I have a jeep partner and want to do some mud. Btw were u recommend to mud here in PR for a couple of rookies
Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely get the tow hooks like the others are saying. Keep an eye on the for sale section and also watch your local craigslist. I was able to pick up a rubicon bumper with the hooks and fog light holes for $60 that was replaced when someone went aftermarket.

Also I just used my hooks over the weekend to get pulled out of a tough spot between a rock and a tree. Worked like a charm and much better and much easier than hooking up to the frame.

Get rid of that tow strap with the hooks those things are downright dangerous on the trail. I picked up a 25,000 pound tow strap with the looped ends at the local wally world for somewhere between 15 and 30 dollars, it's been a while so I can't remember the exact figure.

Good luck on your hunt.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kris003
I already have have the hooks just want to get a recovery kit since I am new (noob) and I have a jeep partner and want to do some mud. Btw were u recommend to mud here in PR for a couple of rookies
Kris, I am in no way an expert on this, but you may want to join the "Vuelta a PR en 4x4" events that are done every 6 weeks (more or less). There, a route is build with different obstacles, mud, etc, depending on the town. Next event is on NOv 14, you may look for them in facebook. Everything is secure and staff is always ready to help out anyone who may get stuck. Next event is a road trip from Hato Rey to Ceiba, where there will be an off road track inside Roosevelt Roads. This event is the aniversarry of the Guiness Record established last year in Puerto Rico for the largest caravan of Off Road Vehicles. Last route in Dorado was realy muddy!!!

Shoot me a PM...

Quick Reply: OE front tow hooks... worth it?