Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Order half metal doors: Do they replace the full door, or you get both sets?

Old 04-20-2014, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order half metal doors: Do they replace the full door, or you get both sets?

If you order a JK/JKU with the half metal door option, do they replace the full doors, or do you get both sets?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You just get the half doors. Sadly, there is no option to buy both sets.

Edit: Let me add that you can't just go to a dealer later and buy a door. That is, unless things have changed, you just get the door, unpainted and with no gaskets, seals or hardware. Then you have to buy all the bits and pieces and assemble and paint the doors. It isn't cheap.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-20-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to really want them to go through that pain! How about those plastic aftermarket half doors - are they any good? Do they come with all necessary rubber and hardware?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by blw
You have to really want them to go through that pain! How about those plastic aftermarket half doors - are they any good? Do they come with all necessary rubber and hardware?
Not familiar with them. But, there are plenty of threads about a wide variety of half doors--usually tube doors, but also some that have optional windows and sides. I have a set of tube doors and really like them. Use the forum's search tools and I expect you can find plenty of existing info on the variety of brands out there. These are from OR-Fab ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep with Tube Doors, Jul 09, 3072.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	547321
Old 04-21-2014, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We factory ordered our 2011 Sport with half doors and we really like them. The only down side was with half doors we weren't able to get some of the fancy electrical stuff like heated mirrors. In the 3 years we've had it I haven't seen any other JKUs with half doors. I looked into getting full doors too, but way too expensive. We've gone through some cold winters with only one problem. A window cracked as I was unzipping it in below 0 temps, but it was covered under warranty.

Last week we ordered a 2014, also with half doors, can't wait to get it.

Last edited by pleepleus; 04-21-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since OEM half door kits are a dealer item (and rather easily assembled), a prospective buyer could negotiate a discounted price for them during the haggling over the purchase price of a new full-door jeep.

Sadly, the OEM halfs weren't available as a kit when I got my '08 but as soon as they issued I got a set. Love them in the summer. Can't say I'd be happy with them in the New England winter.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ive driven a JKU with factory half doors.. and I really only found them to be a little better than the plastic half doors you can buy on the market.

I got my jeep with full doors and then bought a set of Bestop fabric half doors... being in Ohio I found i like having the full metal doors in winter, the plastic windows scratch very easily if you have to remove snow or ice.. or even washignthe road salt off of them, and they will crack if its below zero and you want to unzip your window...

for me anyway, doors in the summer are a mere formaility.. I have the fabric doors because i can toss them in the back of the jeep for that popup storm or if it gets a little cold at night..

I only then put my full doors back on the jeep in the fall where I have them all winter long.
-Christopher
Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

I would look at the Best top element doors. They come as tube doors and you can build them up as much as you want. I've seen guys put the metal skins on it in the winter and add the plastic windows. Base starts around $300 but of course all complete you are probly looking at $1000

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

I'm with JeepARoo - get full doors, then just take them completely off when the weather gets nice! Here in Portland that usually means end of May when the rainy season ends. I usually get 4 good months with no doors!

Quick Reply: Order half metal doors: Do they replace the full door, or you get both sets?