Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Overheating!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating!

Just replaced my water pump and it keeps overheating! I also changed my thermostat like 2 months ago.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Did you refill and burp the coolant?

May need a little more information, unless you expect everyone to just start throwing darts at the board for you.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Did you refill and burp the coolant?

May need a little more information, unless you expect everyone to just start throwing darts at the board for you.
Yes refilled and burped filled overflow to max line. Recently just replaced my rocker arms and lifters because they were ticking like crazy but I doubt that had any to do with it
Old 07-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

It wasn't over heating prior to water pump change or after the thermostat change?

Some thermostats are bad out of the box where if it's not opening around the standard 205 deg F, then that could be causing overheat problems. Which brand of thermostat? OEM Mopar or other?
Which brand of water pump? OEM Mopar or other?

What about coolant type? You should be using OAT type for a 2014 with the 3.6L. Mixing OAT and HOAT (3.8L) coolants will cause gel to form and can lead to overheating issues. You or shop didn't happen to mix different types of coolants by any chance?
You can typically, look at the bottom of the overflow container to see if gel is forming if coolants have been mixed.

If you're certain coolant level is good, coolants haven't been mixed and assuming the thermostat and water pump are good, then you're down to potential radiator, and cooling fan problems.

My suspicion of most likely cause would be possible coolant type mixing since it's an easy mistake to make and has been a mistake made by many shops.

Quick Reply: Overheating!