Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

P0420 code

Old 06-11-2019, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0420 code

My 2010 Wrangler decided it was time to turn on the check engine light. I had the code pulled and it was P0420. The guy at the auto parts store told me I needed to replace the catalytic converter. Obviously I didn't bite and went home to research. I found a bunch of posts online stating that code is usually caused by a faulty O2 sensor on the right upstream position. I couldn't find any diagrams showing the location of the sensors. When I looked under the jeep all I saw was the 2 (right and left sides) sensors that mount into the cats.
Can someone please help me figure out where the upstream and downstream sensors are located.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

I got that code.in October. Decided to try something to save me money. I bought a can of Solder-It (CAT-1) Catalytic Converter Cleaner - 16 oz. from Amazon. Took the code away for 6 months. Came back and treated it again and it took the code away again. Not trying to sell you snake oil but it worked for me. I even passed the emission inspection with it. For $13.00 give it a try.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captainstabbin
I got that code.in October. Decided to try something to save me money. I bought a can of Solder-It (CAT-1) Catalytic Converter Cleaner - 16 oz. from Amazon. Took the code away for 6 months. Came back and treated it again and it took the code away again. Not trying to sell you snake oil but it worked for me. I even passed the emission inspection with it. For $13.00 give it a try.
I'll check it out, worth a shot.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump
Can someone please help me figure out where the upstream and downstream sensors are located.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I found the bank 1 upstream and downstream sensors. The downstream sensor came out easily. The upstream wont budge. I soaked it in penetrating oil and am using an O2 sensor socket but still cant get it. The socket feels like it is spreading and I am afraid of stripping the sensor.

Anyone have any ideas for getting it out without using a torch? Not much room and I dont want to burn up the jeep.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Those upper ones, as you found with the difficulty of seeing them, are difficult to work on. If it was me (doing it again), I'd pull the cats and attack it on a work bench. And, I'd have new, replacement hardware for where the cats attach to the exhaust manifolds (bolts and nut plates). FYI, my P0420 light kept going off and on. I nursed it for about a year and 20,000 miles or so, going off and on. Finally replaced the O2 sensors--all four since it's likely the others aren't far behind in life--and did not fix. So replaced the cats and it took care of.

BTW, if you'd like to isolate the problem to the O2 sensors, you might try crossing the wires between sides (bank 1 and bank 2) and see if you get the related code (P0430, I think). I haven't looked at the practicality of doing that--extending the wires, etc), but if you want to just fix the immediate problem, that might prove informative. Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Those upper ones, as you found with the difficulty of seeing them, are difficult to work on. If it was me (doing it again), I'd pull the cats and attack it on a work bench. And, I'd have new, replacement hardware for where the cats attach to the exhaust manifolds (bolts and nut plates). FYI, my P0420 light kept going off and on. I nursed it for about a year and 20,000 miles or so, going off and on. Finally replaced the O2 sensors--all four since it's likely the others aren't far behind in life--and did not fix. So replaced the cats and it took care of.

BTW, if you'd like to isolate the problem to the O2 sensors, you might try crossing the wires between sides (bank 1 and bank 2) and see if you get the related code (P0430, I think). I haven't looked at the practicality of doing that--extending the wires, etc), but if you want to just fix the immediate problem, that might prove informative. Just a thought.
I'm hoping not to have to replace the cats, that would be a lot of money. So I figured I would start with the sensors and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Soaked the sensor for a day in rust penetrator and got a longer breaker bar and managed to get it out!
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (06-17-2019)

Quick Reply: P0420 code