Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by DV8 Offroad
Click Here

P0430 and brake lines

 
Old 03-02-2019, 04:57 PM
  #1  
JK Super Freak
Thread Starter
 
EHarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HB, So Cal
Posts: 1,277
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default P0430 and brake lines

I got the P0430 code which is catalyst efficiency (bank 2) and then I decided not to clear it and it went away on its own and hasn't come back in a while now? Any thoughts?

At 160k it's time to do the brake lines. They definitely look like they are getting worn and all I currently have is drop brackets and extensions I believe. I'm reading some bad stuff about the braided stainless lines and I'm wondering what I should go with? I don't mind buying a brake bleeding device such as mightyVAC or something similar since I have the air compressor and I also plan on doing the girls 2004 grand Cherokee WJ. She is due for a bleeding also.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
EHarris is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 PM
  #2  
JK Junkie
 
karls10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 3,498
Liked 67 Times in 66 Posts
Default

No input on the catalyst efficiency, just the brake lobes. I bought the braided stainless that is in a thick plastic sleeve, I think they were Rough Country, and they've been great. The straight stainless ones like to catch your hand when you're working on the Jeep. The RC ones were on some insane discount when I bought them so I bought front and rear- total of $34. No elaborate bleeding required, I just filled the reservoir and cracked each line, then standard bleed. They're just as good as when the Jeep was new and on smaller tires. They've got plenty of length for the lift without being cumbersome.
karls10jk is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 06:43 PM
  #3  
JK Super Freak
Thread Starter
 
EHarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HB, So Cal
Posts: 1,277
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Would they work with my set up. I have the OME HD Springs and nitro charger shocks. Running 305 70r16. Love that price. Doubt I can get it but it should be a few $$ more. Here's kinda the only pic I have on my phone with the brake lines in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo95.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	677335  
EHarris is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 02:21 AM
  #4  
JK Junkie
 
karls10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 3,498
Liked 67 Times in 66 Posts
Default

I know your coils are heavy duty but is that roughly equivalent to 1.5-2"? I don't see why they wouldn't though, the lines pretty well sit out of the way and have plenty of length. You'd be able to ditch the brake line drops as well. I had homemade drops on the rear and they're now in the garbage. I'll grab a couple pictures.
karls10jk is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 11:44 AM
  #5  
JK Super Freak
Thread Starter
 
EHarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HB, So Cal
Posts: 1,277
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I think it was primarily because of the length needed if I were to disconnect. Otherwise I was trusting an off-road shop back then.

The HD Springs are numbered at 2" but you get more like 2.75" with no heavy front bumper like me.
EHarris is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 11:45 PM
  #6  
JK Jedi Master
 
Mark Doiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 14,129
Liked 65 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EHarris View Post
I got the P0430 code which is catalyst efficiency (bank 2) and then I decided not to clear it and it went away on its own and hasn't come back in a while now? Any thoughts? ...
Yeah, I had that. And it went away. For quite awhile--measure in months or even a year. But eventually did come back. I ignored it for quite a few months, but lights like that do bother me. So, finally swapped out oxygen sensors, no joy. Replaced cat's and problem gone. I was in the vicinity of 200,000 miles, so replacing the cats did make sense. Expensive sense, but good sense.
Mark Doiron is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 05:59 AM
  #7  
JK Super Freak
Thread Starter
 
EHarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HB, So Cal
Posts: 1,277
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yeah, I had that. And it went away. For quite awhile--measure in months or even a year. But eventually did come back. I ignored it for quite a few months, but lights like that do bother me. So, finally swapped out oxygen sensors, no joy. Replaced cat's and problem gone. I was in the vicinity of 200,000 miles, so replacing the cats did make sense. Expensive sense, but good sense.
Yea I had a feeling the cats were going to need to be replaced eventually. I'm at 160k. I don't think this is a job I can do on my own along with the state of California has some strict rules on what can be used if not using OEM. Would you mind if I asked how much it ran you? I'm thinking parts and labor somewhere around 12-1400k ?
EHarris is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 AM
  #8  
JK Jedi Master
 
Mark Doiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 14,129
Liked 65 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EHarris View Post
Yea I had a feeling the cats were going to need to be replaced eventually. I'm at 160k. I don't think this is a job I can do on my own along with the state of California has some strict rules on what can be used if not using OEM. Would you mind if I asked how much it ran you? I'm thinking parts and labor somewhere around 12-1400k ?
I don't mind if you ask, but I don't have a good answer for several reasons. First, I have an access route to cheaper OEM parts than most folks. Second, I put it off until the cats were being pulled for another reason--To replace the clutch throwout bearing--so labor was a sunk cost (it's possible to replace the TOB without pulling the cats--but the one time I did it myself with some friend's help it was a pain so we ended up pulling it to get it out of the way). Third, the fellow who does my heavy-lift mechanical work is a friend and charges me a lot less than a dealer would charge you.
Mark Doiron is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 04:12 AM
  #9  
Super Moderator
 
Rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,940
Liked 104 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EHarris View Post

At 160k it's time to do the brake lines. They definitely look like they are getting worn and all I currently have is drop brackets and extensions I believe. I'm reading some bad stuff about the braided stainless lines and I'm wondering what I should go with? I don't mind buying a brake bleeding device such as mightyVAC or something similar since I have the air compressor and I also plan on doing the girls 2004 grand Cherokee WJ. She is due for a bleeding also.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sounds like a good excuse to do a BBK upgrade if you haven't already. The Mopar BBK comes with replacement brake hoses.

Keep us posted what you find out on the cats. I now have 165K miles on my 2009...been dreading the thought of replacement exhaust parts especially the cats.

Rednroll is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 02:44 PM
  #10  
JK Super Freak
Thread Starter
 
EHarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HB, So Cal
Posts: 1,277
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Rednroll ive been using the Bosch quiet cast and they have a 3 year any excuse warranty along with the autozone ceramic pads lifetime warranty. I do rotors and pads every summer for free except after year 3. Then I have to shell out for new rotors again. I like fresh brakes before long summer trips. The lifetime pads I started at 50k and have at least got 7 sets free so far.

I'd rather spend the money on other upgrades if possible but I've heard great things about the big brake kits. Maybe if I had to do the master cylinder at this time too but it all still looks pretty good.

Anyone get a mightyVAC? I have an 80 gal air compressor and would love a way to bleed them with something like that but I hear good and bad things especially if you don't have a way to activate the ABS. My girl has the 04 WJ so it would get double use.
EHarris is offline  

Quick Reply: P0430 and brake lines


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: