Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0480 - Cooling Fan FAILURE - Diagnostic Help

Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0480 - Cooling Fan FAILURE - Diagnostic Help

A couple days ago a sank the front end in some muddy water up to the middle of the grill. Only sat there for a couple minutes before I yanked it out.

NOW, the cooling fan doesn't come on and I got a check engine light. The code its throwing is P0480, which is Cooling Fan Control Circuit 1. But that could mean the fan itself is blown, wiring, fan control module, PCM, etc......So how can I diagnose the issue myself and fix it? The 60a fuse for the cooling fan blew so I replaced it hoping that was just the issue but I blew the second fuse.

I'd really hate to pay $90 for a "diagnostic" and then whatever to fix them problem. Especially if it just the fan.....4 screws and a plug.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Ok, sorry to double post........but I just wired the fan directly to the battery and the fan ran well.

SO..........

Relay? PCM? Am I able to check these myself? Sorry but I hate automotive wiring and electronics.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a 60 AMP fuse in the TPIM (fuse box under the hood).. check it... if the fan was bound up that fuse likely smoked...

-Christopher
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
there is a 60 AMP fuse in the TPIM (fuse box under the hood).. check it... if the fan was bound up that fuse likely smoked...

-Christopher
I just tried replacing the fuse AGAIN. I cranked up the engine, no fan, but then I turned the A/C on to get the fan to kick in....it did. But after abouta minute of running I saw the fuse blow and the fan turn off.

So I need to figure out what is causing the fuse to blow. I'm a newb with automotive electronics and wiring so be gentle. I keep hearing about the relay. So where can I find that and what should I be looking for?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Found this in the manual:

"The electric cooling fan HI and LOW relays are located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the engine compartment. See the fuse and relay layout label affixed to the inside surface of the PDC cover for cooling fan relay identification and location.

The HI and LOW cooling fan relays cannot be adjusted or repaired. If the HI or LOW relay is damaged or faulty, it must be replaced."
Old 08-05-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A relay will very rarely be the cause of a blown fuse or a few that keep blowing. from what you are describing I would say it is the fan.

yes it works when wired directly but I bet the draw when running "hot wired" is more than 60amp.

to know for sure you will need to check the amp draw when running. most meters only go up to 10 amp.

good luck finding an amp meter that goes above 10 for less than the $90 diagnosis.

If you want to rule out the relay, find it and switch it with one that is working(lights, horn, etc)
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, check the relays. But the fan motor is probably damaged as it is air-cooled and thus open to the elements. Many threads on damaged JK fan motors.
The following users liked this post:
NoEddy (04-03-2020)
Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

When you hot wired the fan, did it gradually coast down when you shut it off, or did it stop quickly?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

If the fuse keeps blowing, that probably means there's a short in the circuit. And because you were in the water, most likely you have water in one of your connectors. I would recommend taking all the related connectors apart and drying them out with a hair dryer. If that doesn't fix it, a control board may have shorted out and may have to be replaced.

Micah
Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

I've played with the relays without success. I've been looking around local junkyards for a new cooling fan but havewn't had much luck with that one either. I'm going to take the fan out of the Jeep today and see what I can do.

Quick Reply: P0480 - Cooling Fan FAILURE - Diagnostic Help