Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

p06dd blues

Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p06dd blues

this is about the tenth time my 12 jku has thrown this code(engine oil pressure control circuit stuck off). i'm tired of every dealer telling me they never heard of it before. bs, i found out what it meant in about 30 seconds off the internet. I've been told i'm using the wrong oil filter, i've used mopar filters since i got it. i've been told i've been using the wrong oil, i have been using 5w/30 like my owners manual and my filler tube cap has written on them since i got it. i have been told i'm going to long between oil changes, i have been changing my oil every 5000 miles and changing my filter every 2500 miles since i got it.(which is early) anybody else having problems with this code? this is the reason i quit buying chrysler products before. the never ending cel's and the never ending trips back to the dealer only to have your intelligence insulted and never dealing with the problem. another odd fact about this problem is that every time this code has popped up it is while going up an incline. like climbing a bridge or something that has a long grade. and i do mean every time. strange as it is.

Last edited by egl1962; 05-11-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the same CEL today. Going to the dealer tomorrow and dong my homework on it now. 13,500 miles mopar filter, Mobil 1, I did find this on another forum.

Straight from Motor Alldata for you.

P06DD-DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information .

Theory of Operation

The engine oil pump features seven vanes and a moving element that continuously adjusts to maintain a regulated oil pressure supply by varying the displacement of the pump. The pump has two regulated pressure stages of operation controlled by an on/off solenoid. Low pressure mode regulation (solenoid on) is approximately 200 kPa (29 psi) and high pressure mode regulation (solenoid off) is approximately 450 kPa (65 psi). The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) switches the pump between stages based on engine operating conditions, oil and coolant temperatures, speed and load. Under most typical conditions, the pump will run in low mode from idle up to around 3000 rpm and switch from low to high mode between 3000 and 4000 rpm. The maximum oil pressure in the engine is limited to 1000 kPa (145 psi) by the relief valve. Pressure in the main oil gallery of the engine can be monitored with diagnostic equipment through the oil pressure sensor mounted on the rear of the oil filter module. The minimum pressure for the engine is 41 kPa (6 psi) at any operating condition. Anything under this pressure could result in damage to critical moving parts.

When Monitored: Based upon Engine oil temperature, the monitor runs when engine speed (RPM) is over a calibrated value. The cooler the engine oil, the lower is the enable engine speed (Minimum 1000rpm). To evaluate the dual stage oil pump, fully warm up the engine. To run DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW (P06DD), drive vehicle with engine speed over 3500 rpm.
Set Condition: The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) senses the oil pressure is less than a low threshold for 5 seconds. One Trip fault.

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting Procedure.

1. ACTIVE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC)

NOTE: Make sure that the engine oil is at the proper level. Also, review the customers oil change history to make sure that the oil is being changed at the correct intervals and that the proper oil viscosity is being used.

Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

Using the scan tool, read the active DTCs.

Is the DTC Active at this time?

Yes

Go To 2

No

Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure. See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Intermittent Condition Test.

2. ENGINE OIL/ENGINE MECHANICAL

Turn the ignition off.
The following items should be considered before determining the cause of this DTC:

ENGINE MECHANICAL TOLERANCES OUT OF SPECIFICATION
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE OUT OF SPECIFICATION
LOW ENGINE OIL
DETERIORATED OR DIRTY OIL
ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)

NOTE: Failure to do so may lead to misdiagnosis.

If any of the above conditions are found, repair as necessary

Were any of the above conditions present?

Yes

Repair as necessary.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test.

No

Go To 3

3. DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP

NOTE: The 3.6L Oil pump is released as an assembly. The assembly includes both the pump and the solenoid. There are no serviceable sub-assembly components. In the event the oil pump or solenoid are not functioning or out of specification they must be replaced as an assembly.

Replace the Oil Pressure Sensor accordance with the Service Information.
Turn the ignition on.
Using the scan tool, erase the DTCs.
Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.
Drive the vehicle get the engine within the set conditions.
Using the scan tool, read the active DTCs.

Did the DTC return?

Yes

Replace the oil pump.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test.

No

Repair complete.

Quick Reply: p06dd blues