Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint flaking off hinges.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks for the warranty info. I'm over 5 years now, but have the lifetime max care. I'll have to read my warranty and see if paint is included.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Thanks for the warranty info. I'm over 5 years now, but have the lifetime max care. I'll have to read my warranty and see if paint is included.
Paint was never included aside from good will after the 12 months and 12K miles... It was never warranted for paint or for rust, only perforation. From your description (if you posted pics, I can not see them from here... nuclear sites block all media) it sounds like no perforation, and only minor surface corrosion with some paint blistering from that corrosion.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
Do what I do, toss the Jeep into storage from November 1 to April 15, drive a second vehicle that your not in love with all winter. I just got a 2017 Ram Rebel Hemi for my winter beater, so it can set waiting all summer unless the Jeep is needing trailered to a far away event, but come November it becomes the daily driver and it is Big Willys turn to set and wait.
What!? Not drive my Jeep in the months that I need a Jeep the most and keep from driving in that white stuff, I love driving in? The hell you say!!!

There's a pretty long discussion over here on this topic. Many experiencing hinge paint issues.
Paint Issues - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Along with all the other already mentioned contributing factors to this, It's supposedly worse on 2014+ JKs since FCA switched to "Eco Friendly" paint, which are water based paints.

I have a 2009. I haven't had any paint issues until this past summer where I noticed a couple small (slightly smaller than a shirt button) chip flakes seemed to have come off directly under 2 of the hinge pins. I repaired them with the color match touch up pens and clear coat. Hopefully that keeps any further flaking from spreading.

My 2009 with that doggy 3.8L just keeps getting more valuable everyday.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-09-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incorrect, they have a X-years and X-miles corrosion warranty, and that is stated to protect you in the case of "perforation"... not rust as in surface rust or paint that is dull or peeling.

Perforation is defined as a hole, material wastage to the point that there is no material. A Pennsylvania rust hole... you know, rocker panels, lower door pinch seams and door skins, quarter panels and bed sides.... all the things that blister from the inside out because the panel has perforated from the back side and is now showing blistered paint.
Well all I know is I made enough to retire at 53 from repainting all makes of cars through warranty work in my shop. I have been out of it for a while but corrosion and defective paint from the factory are still considered as two different things. I would still check with the warranty dept. at Jeep.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I clearly said, good-will. Most manufactures will very easily allow for paint repair within 12K/12 months if you find a true defect. Sometimes you may plead your case and the manufacturer may approve reimbursement after 12/12, but that is much less common.

But 6 years later with paint delaminating from a corroded part.... you have a better chance of seeing Jesus leaning on a Harley, smoking a joint, while getting head than a manufacturer approving to pay for paint work. That is not a defect, that is an old car. Simple as that.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

But 6 years later with paint delaminating from a corroded part.... you have a better chance of seeing Jesus leaning on a Harley, smoking a joint, while getting head than a manufacturer approving to pay for paint .
Thanks for that visual imagery Larry.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Texture

Buy a bottle of touch up paint. My hinges are so battered from gravel roads, job sites and repeated touch ups they have the "textured" look.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

since you have some corrosion build up on your hinges the best way is to clean the affected area with a an aluminum brush then clean the area with alphatic naptha. To reduce the possibiliy of the corrosion from coming back use an alodine pen to pretreat the metal. Once pre-treat is complete use a quality primer that has a corrosion inhibator added. I have used a zinc chromate primer in the past but that can be hard to get. Once the primer is dry apply a light dusting of paint then follow up with to layers of tope coat followed by a clear coat.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by drew
Buy a bottle of touch up paint. My hinges are so battered from gravel roads, job sites and repeated touch ups they have the "textured" look.
Haha. Mine have the textured looks from the corrosion under the paint bubbling up.

Quick Reply: Paint flaking off hinges.