Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

painted wheels

Old 09-23-2017, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painted wheels

just painted my stock wheels black
turned out great
took about 5 hrs including dry time
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0142.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	675110

Last edited by tramp; 09-27-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Which paint you use? What prep? What application method?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

bought a rough sanding pad
paint from home depot
used rustolem ultracover black semi gloss
scuff up the wheels well so paint will have rough spot to stick too
like i said you tube has lots of channels to watch on this
Old 09-26-2017, 05:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Everything I've ever tried painting with rattle can.....even if using a good primer before hand, doesn't stand up well to pressure washing. I get the idea of being able to touch up rock rash or what not easily, but wheels are typically one of those things that get blasted with a pressure washer pretty good. Anyone else have different experience?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I painted a set of wheels got the jeep and the best advice is to lay the clear down heavily. When it came time to clean the wheels you could tell where the clear was thin and thick. Having painted a set (with the duplicolor wheel painting kit), I'll never paint another set. I'd sooner get them powdercoated.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could strip them and prep them like a normal car paint job prep, then paint with a catalyzed urethane enamel like a normal car paint job. That'd be minimally useful for a car wheel.

But powdercoat is going to be WAY better and is the only reasonable way to get a decent finish on wheels that will last.

The problem with rattle can is the adhesion is poor and the finish is just not nearly hard enough.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

duplicate

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-28-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I painted a set of wheels got the jeep and the best advice is to lay the clear down heavily. When it came time to clean the wheels you could tell where the clear was thin and thick. Having painted a set (with the duplicolor wheel painting kit), I'll never paint another set. I'd sooner get them powdercoated.
That's my experience as well, although I don't paint my wheels since I prefer the out of style brushed aluminum look, which clean off better for my offroad uses.

As many know I use the HF truck bed liner on my chassis parts and that is pretty durable. I recently made a rear flag pole and used that bed liner by painting a steal electrical conduit pole with it. Just moving the pole around and laying it down in my garage, in a few places it easily got scraped and chipped. I put 3 coats of clear over the top of it, and now it's like durable powder coat. However, if you're going for a flat look, then putting clear on it may not work, since it's essentially like putting on a semi-gloss layer over the top of the paint.

I also did that same poor man's powder coat process (truck bed liner + Clear coat) when repainting my rear trailer hitch. So you can see that in the pics of my rear bumper install write-up, to get an idea of what it looks like.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...sahara-343600/

The IA powder coat has texture within the paint and typically is more along the flat black color look. The 3 coats of clear I applied over the top added some scratch resistance that I figured I needed for a trailer hitch, and gave it a more gloss look.

Just ask any woman. It's the same things they go through with their finger nail polish. They'll tell ya, you need to apply a cleaner so the polish goes on smooth, and sticks, and then to go over that with a clear coat hardener so it doesn't flake and chip off. It's the same principles, we're just applying the men's applications.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-28-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

i scuffed them pretty good and applied 2 light coats and 1 medium coat
paid a whopping $8 for the paint
washed them twice at the car wash with the wand and so far no problems
Old 09-29-2017, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

I just picked up a couple of spray cans of Rustoleum black bed liner. I only made sure the rims were clean and I just sprayed away! Worked like a charm. I go through touch-less washes all year and have had no issues. If I get scratches while off road, I just touch them up.

Quick Reply: painted wheels