JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Parking brake adjustment (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/parking-brake-adjustment-350590/)

mpd2434 06-11-2019 12:36 PM

Parking brake adjustment

Hey all, tried posting this elsewhere and received no responses. I recently replaced my parking brake pads, springs, etc. on my 2011 JK. I adjusted them as per video and forum instructions using the star knobs on both sides until the rotors slightly dragged. I checked the parking brake handle and it was still going 10 clicks as it did before I replaced everything. I then removed the rotors and adjusted the pads out using the star knobs until both rotors were hard to get back on. I reinstalled the rotors and further adjusted them until they barely moved. I again checked the parking brake handle and was still getting 10 clicks (almost up to the console lid). What am I doing wrong here? From what I've read this is the only way to adjust the handle.

mpd2434 06-11-2019 02:42 PM

I can't be the only one that has ever had this problem?

Mark Doiron 06-12-2019 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by mpd2434 (Post 4343525)
I can't be the only one that has ever had this problem?

No you're not. Suggest that you pull out your center console and give the brake mechanism a thorough cleaning. It is probably clogged up with grime. It's a such a frequent occurrence that most folks just give up on the parking brake. I've put a spring in mine to add more counterforce when engaging the brake. Here's a thread with more info than you could possibly want on that parking brake assembly ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-135255/

EDIT: Skip to post 41. Ron says it can be done with the console in place, so give that a try before pulling the console. If you pull the console, then maybe you'll want to apply the spring mod ...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock...tried-fix.html

mpd2434 06-12-2019 05:08 AM

Thank you for the help, this simple job has turned into a pain in the a$$

mpd2434 06-12-2019 06:02 AM

Well it looks like I may either have to do the spring mod or order a new assembly. My brake lever doesn't pop at all like what others are posting and it goes up smoothly to 10 clicks, (right up to the console). I thoroughly sprayed the spring mechanism with brake cleaner and cycled the lever but no difference. My driveway has a very slight incline, I put my jeep in reverse at let it idle backward. At 10 clicks it couldn't stop it until I was out of the driveway and almost across the level part of the street.

harley97 06-12-2019 08:06 PM

I have the same problem and have been fighting it for years now. I replaced the shoes and adjusted them down as far as I could,and added springs, bungees and wire to tighten everything up on the handle. The springs and bungees worked for a few weeks, then the brake was back to not working. I have not tried brakleen yet, might go try that now. So far nothing has worked and Ive essentially given up. But, every once in a while the brake actually works for some reason. Im baffled

mpd2434 06-17-2019 12:04 PM

Just to update anyone that's having the same problem as me. I took my console out and found that my brake clockspring was not holding in place as others have found the same issue. I fabricated an L bracket and bolted it to the metal bracket on the side. The bracket keeps the clockspring from moving too far forward and keeps tension on the cable. Now I get three clicks on the lever and it holds firm in reverse with some pressure on the gas.

karls10jk 06-17-2019 12:14 PM

Do you have any pictures of what you've done? It seems to me that the new style brake is much better than the 07-10 (maybe 11 too with the 3.8) so it could be very beneficial to those of us with the older brake style.

GeekyTechyCool 06-17-2019 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mpd2434 (Post 4343893)
Just to update anyone that's having the same problem as me. I took my console out and found that my brake clockspring was not holding in place as others have found the same issue. I fabricated an L bracket and bolted it to the metal bracket on the side. The bracket keeps the clockspring from moving too far forward and keeps tension on the cable. Now I get three clicks on the lever and it holds firm in reverse with some pressure on the gas.

Nice solution, I second the request for pictures please, though I'd imagine that's tough to do with it back together at this point...lol

mpd2434 06-17-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4343894)
Do you have any pictures of what you've done? It seems to me that the new style brake is much better than the 07-10 (maybe 11 too with the 3.8) so it could be very beneficial to those of us with the older brake style.

I took a short video, I will try to download it.