Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Parking brake adjustment

Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking brake adjustment

Hey all, tried posting this elsewhere and received no responses. I recently replaced my parking brake pads, springs, etc. on my 2011 JK. I adjusted them as per video and forum instructions using the star knobs on both sides until the rotors slightly dragged. I checked the parking brake handle and it was still going 10 clicks as it did before I replaced everything. I then removed the rotors and adjusted the pads out using the star knobs until both rotors were hard to get back on. I reinstalled the rotors and further adjusted them until they barely moved. I again checked the parking brake handle and was still getting 10 clicks (almost up to the console lid). What am I doing wrong here? From what I've read this is the only way to adjust the handle.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

I can't be the only one that has ever had this problem?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mpd2434
I can't be the only one that has ever had this problem?
No you're not. Suggest that you pull out your center console and give the brake mechanism a thorough cleaning. It is probably clogged up with grime. It's a such a frequent occurrence that most folks just give up on the parking brake. I've put a spring in mine to add more counterforce when engaging the brake. Here's a thread with more info than you could possibly want on that parking brake assembly ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-135255/

EDIT: Skip to post 41. Ron says it can be done with the console in place, so give that a try before pulling the console. If you pull the console, then maybe you'll want to apply the spring mod ...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock...tried-fix.html

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 06-12-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the help, this simple job has turned into a pain in the a$$
Old 06-12-2019, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Well it looks like I may either have to do the spring mod or order a new assembly. My brake lever doesn't pop at all like what others are posting and it goes up smoothly to 10 clicks, (right up to the console). I thoroughly sprayed the spring mechanism with brake cleaner and cycled the lever but no difference. My driveway has a very slight incline, I put my jeep in reverse at let it idle backward. At 10 clicks it couldn't stop it until I was out of the driveway and almost across the level part of the street.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problem and have been fighting it for years now. I replaced the shoes and adjusted them down as far as I could,and added springs, bungees and wire to tighten everything up on the handle. The springs and bungees worked for a few weeks, then the brake was back to not working. I have not tried brakleen yet, might go try that now. So far nothing has worked and Ive essentially given up. But, every once in a while the brake actually works for some reason. Im baffled
Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Just to update anyone that's having the same problem as me. I took my console out and found that my brake clockspring was not holding in place as others have found the same issue. I fabricated an L bracket and bolted it to the metal bracket on the side. The bracket keeps the clockspring from moving too far forward and keeps tension on the cable. Now I get three clicks on the lever and it holds firm in reverse with some pressure on the gas.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you have any pictures of what you've done? It seems to me that the new style brake is much better than the 07-10 (maybe 11 too with the 3.8) so it could be very beneficial to those of us with the older brake style.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mpd2434
Just to update anyone that's having the same problem as me. I took my console out and found that my brake clockspring was not holding in place as others have found the same issue. I fabricated an L bracket and bolted it to the metal bracket on the side. The bracket keeps the clockspring from moving too far forward and keeps tension on the cable. Now I get three clicks on the lever and it holds firm in reverse with some pressure on the gas.
Nice solution, I second the request for pictures please, though I'd imagine that's tough to do with it back together at this point...lol
Old 06-17-2019, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Do you have any pictures of what you've done? It seems to me that the new style brake is much better than the 07-10 (maybe 11 too with the 3.8) so it could be very beneficial to those of us with the older brake style.
I took a short video, I will try to download it.

Quick Reply: Parking brake adjustment