Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Parking Brake Redesign

Old 10-21-2017, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrok
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. The confusion comes from the age when drum style brakes would self-adjust and this was done as you described with a spring loaded lever that would ride against the star wheel, get pulled away when applied in reverse and then catch the star and turn it on its way back down. Even then, it wasn't a great system.

There is no such mechanism on this setup. Only a spring that lays against the starwheel, pulling the shoes together and acting as interference on the starwheel to keep it from spinning freely. There is no mechanism to actuate it. Google self adjusting drum brakes and then take a look at the JK system and you'll see the difference.
That's what I thought. I'd tried years ago to adjust it by backing up and it did nothing. I'll be pulling the rear wheels off today and trying to adjust the star nuts with a screw driver. Hopefully, the pads aren't worn out on it.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If they are, it's not a hard fix although does require you to pull the axles.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-21-2017, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fredrok
If they are, it's not a hard fix although does require you to pull the axles.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tried to adjust mine today. It didn't do a thing. I'm going to have my Jeep dealer fix the damned thing. Other than that, I did put new rotors and Wagner OE-X pads on it. I'll be putting new vented front rotors and OE-X pads on it tomorrow afternoon.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you have the pn for the front OE-X pads? I like my rears but couldn't find the fronts so I've got Hawks (insane brake dust 24/7 with average to below average stopping power).
Old 10-22-2017, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Do you have the pn for the front OE-X pads? I like my rears but couldn't find the fronts so I've got Hawks (insane brake dust 24/7 with average to below average stopping power).
Yep, they are OEX 1327.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default got tired of messing with it it either

wouldnt hold or it would lock on one wheel driver side only then it would grab and heat up rotor thousand times taking tires off till i just disconected the em brake. nothing . i just put in gear and shut it off rather than deal with this faulty system . i put all new hardware onto parking brakes to find nothing. Chrysler ought to be sued to repair these faulty e brakes. i think mine lasted 20 ,000 miles at most and even then i had issues from day one not holding right from factory ordered . Im sure its gonna be issue when inspection comes but oh well id rather have no brake than deal with taking wheels off turn the star , Re install caliper, Put wheels on and find out no brake , Take it all off start again, over and over . Then find its hanging up take off tear apart . start over
i think its just cheap parts and my new e brake shoes( brake system) never worked i think because of brake lever actuater mechinisam jammed and cant

free them up (move correctly)
I know dealer would just charge a fortune to repair it and hand it back not working correctly and im not giving them a dime! A block in front of tire is a better investment than using chrysler e brake. I went in store and someone said your jeep rolled across parking lot . I got in and handle was up . just never worked right it could have killed someone.

Honestly i dont know how this gets by .& is not concidered a recall issue its safety and needed just to pass inspection alone. Its a safety brake that does not work.
Does this not qualify for recall ?????? all jk 2007 -18 having issues

I know i totally did every thing i could , but finally disconnected them rather than ruin new rotors by having them smoking them. It was to tight or to loose and only drivers side held anyway the passengers side would not adjust to the same as drivers side or even lock up only drivers , Even when i pull the handle the shoes never seemed to visually expand the way they should or then close correctly ( junk) im not goin crazy fixing design flaws / id rather loosen star all the way and no brake . All done
BTW i have lots of love for my jeep but i know when something isnt gonna work no matter how much effort goes into it. wheels off and on about 30 times is enough. only 4 clicks but still never held . Not the handle obviously RECALL IS NEEDED i gave up on repair

Last edited by jeepmojo; 10-22-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Redesign