Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Passenger Airbag Goes Off While Off-Road?

Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryAlex1
My '07 Rubicon has the pressure switch in the passenger front seat to disable the airbag.
Pressure switch or not, when a airbag is defective, il will open anyway.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Before I bought an 08,I had looked at an 07. The salesman told me that the passenger airbag was controlled by a switch on the dash.I was going by what he said,I never bothered to look because I wasn't interested in that Jeep.Sorry if I caused any confusion.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xblazerman
Before I bought an 08,I had looked at an 07. The salesman told me that the passenger airbag was controlled by a switch on the dash.I was going by what he said,I never bothered to look because I wasn't interested in that Jeep.Sorry if I caused any confusion.
don't worry about it man. Salesmen mainly will tell you what you want to hear
Old 09-02-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had asked for more information on the passenger airbag deployment and he told me he was running through some whoop-de-doos (his word, I magine it's like a motocross track) and the bag deployed. Scared the crap out of him and he drove back to the trail head and drove slowly to the dealer. The dealer wouldn't believe his story, but they found no other trigger such as a crushed air can or any indication of impact and apparently called the factory rep. They ended up calling it defective and replacing it under warranty, and the mechanic said he has only once ever seen an airbag deploy without an impact and it was in a parked vehicle with nobody in it. He said it must happen with a defective switch or bad assembly that snuck through.

This apparently happend to the JK last year, I thought it was recent, and the owner said he's been through the same trail a hundred times with no problems. Chalk it up to the Jeep Gods just toying with us...

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

i have not heard of this on a jk...but i do remember reading in one of the off road mags that their Chevy truck deployed the side air bag while off road. Some vehicles ( full size Chevy this time) have the air bags activate if the vehicle is off camber to a certain degree...i think they since corrected this because the bags were going off!

Last edited by voodoojk; 09-02-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

weird................
Old 09-05-2008, 12:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've attended GM airbag school and have worked on early to mid 70's GM vehicles WITH AIR BAGS! They have been around for a LONG time. GM engineering actually produced a run of cars as test subjects in the mid 70's that were being followed for histories as late as the early 90's. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. An air bag can deploy if the control module is defective. The airbag deployment is an end result of a sequence normally initiated by an impact of up to 30 degrees from the centerline of the vehicle in the front. If you impact the vehicle beyond the design perimeter values it won't deploy. Unwanted deployment on airbags was a primary design feature of the supplemental restraint systems. Believe me if you have an unwanted deployment there is a flaw in a component, Improper service methods or a lightening strike somewhere close An airbag system can be ''fooled'' into reading a sudden stop or ''jar'' as an impact deserving a deployment. This is what most unwanted deployments are caused by. The system self- diagnoses every ignition cycle, so a condition that can cause an unwanted deployment normally throws an airbag lite and code. Really rough off-roading can fool the system and blow a bag. I fixed a Riviera one time that hit a dog and bent the license plate- blew both bags. Fixed a Hyundai- NO damage found- hit pothole and blew the bags. Anything is possible on 4 tires......
Old 09-05-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

There was a post and a video from another forum where a guy set off his side air bags while wheeling.

It can happen.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Freak

Is there an actual switch under the seat on the 08 to turn the passenger air bag off, or is there a sensor that suts off the passenger air bag based on the weight of the passenger.
To answer the question above...there is no control or pressure switch on mine. It is just always "on" as far as I can tell. My wife's Pathfinder has a pressure switch in the seat, becuase if there is no weight in the Passenger seat, the indicator lights up saying the airbag is "off". I see nothing like that on my JK.

Quick Reply: Passenger Airbag Goes Off While Off-Road?