Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Passenger Side Rear Brake Issue

Old 10-16-2018, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Side Rear Brake Issue

So I recently took my 2012 JKU to CO/AZ/NM on about a 4k mile trip. Did Medano Pass, bits of the Alpine Loop etc. A few days after getting home I washed the Jeep and rotated the tires and then let it sit in the garage for about 36 hours. When I went to back out of the garage, I rolled about a foot or 2 before it felt like I hit something. I stopped and got out and looked underneath and did not see anything so I got back in and and attempted to back up again. It still felt like something was under the tire so I pulled the e-brake up and push it back down to check that maybe it had not failed to disengage or something odd. I pulled forward and then slowly backed up and now felt no resistance. I got about 10 feet and then the jeep stopped as if i had bumped into something again. I put it in forward and rolled a couple feet and then backed up again. This time there was a loud metal on metal sound sort of like a snapping and then I broke through whatever the resistance was.

I could hear something rubbing on my 2 mile commute and when I got out there was a hot smell and rusty brake dust on the rim. I hammered a bit on the caliper pins and then drove around the block and did not hear the rubbing so I wiped all dust off the rim and drove it another 2 miles and there was another coating of dust so it appears something is still rubbing although slightly. Going to tear into it tonight and see what I can find but so far I checked that the parking brake cable was not taught so it does not appear to be engaged at all. Suspect that maybe the caliper failed to go back in adequately as my father's 2013 did the same and completely destroyed a rear rotor.

Anyone had similar experiences with calipers sticking on the JKs? I read a few threads but the symptoms seemed a bit different that I saw and I thought it was odd that the jeep was stopping in reverse and then had the loud metal popping sound. I should also mention that the jeep will roll in neutral and I was even able to push it myself so it does not appear to be seized or stuck far enough out to actually keep it from rolling when i pushed against the vehicle.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Sounds like you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Have you looked for a rock stuck in the brake assembly?
Old 10-17-2018, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Sounds like you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Have you looked for a rock stuck in the brake assembly?
That is a good thought. Planning on ripping into it tonight. I will post up what I find. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default update

Pulled both tires and ended up finding a completely seized and rusted slide pin. Could not get it to budge with a wrench. Tried tapping on it, knocking it back and forth etc. Finally it sheered off and left about a quarter inch piece sticking out of the caliper bracket. Needless to say, new caliper bracket and slide pin kit on order as the calipers/pads/rotors themselves looked fine. I just replaced pads a year ago so was surprised it happened that quick. We had a harsh winter last year but I am pretty good about spraying off the salt after big storms when I can. (getting under and giving everything underneath a good rinse etc). I guess once it starts rusting inside that little slide pin boot it is over.

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Rear Brake Issue