Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

PCM burnt out/warranty ?

Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PCM burnt out/warranty ?

Hello, I am new to the forum and figured I could use some help so here goes. I bought my 08 JK unlimited Sahara used 3 months ago (Nov) with 41k miles on it. I did not purchase extended warranty as the power train was still covered and decided I would purchase an aftermarket warranty later if I decided to because the dealers price was outrageous. I bought the jeep with the understanding that it was used, from the southeast (so rust from salted roads up north would not be an issue) had a clean carfax, and had no modifications. It was a very clean Jeep. Yesterday I cranked it and with no previous problems had a really rough idle, and my electronic throttle control light bolt starts flashing, and the traction control light is on. It cut off a few times, I tried cycling the key long enough for it to stay on and drive and it is in limp mode now only going about 30mph. I took it to the closest Jeep dealership for them to diagnose it today and they tell me that apparently there was an aftermarket programmer on the Jeep that I had no clue about, and that it had burnt out the entire PCM or computer and that the cost for repair would be $980!!! Please excuse my ignorance as this is my first Jeep, and I am learning but I don't understand why the dealer I purchased it from didn't catch this in inspection or let me know about it. Furthermore, if it is now voiding my warranty as I am being told anyways that the PCM now won't be covered, is this legit for a dealership to sell you a vehicle that they state has remaining power train warranty wout checking for any modifications that might could void that? Any suggestions I would appreciate!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

What warrenty where u supose to have anyway? if power train where to transfer,I am not sure it is going to cover pcm any way .Was dealer telling u otherwise?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

What warranty do you have that is still covering the power train?

The power train control module for 2008 is covered under the emissions warranty for 8 years/80,000 miles.
You need to talk to the dealer you purchased the JK from.

Is the programmer they refer to something that was physically installed in-line with the pcm? Or was it something that just changed the pcm's programming?
I've never heard of a programmer burning out the entire pcm, or any of it for that matter.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

after market tuners leave footprints and do void warranties.
I would suspect it is normal for a dealer "not" to catch the fact that an aftermarket tuner was used unless specifically asked to check it and to put it in writing that it tested clean.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Yes they are stating that it had a 5yr 50k mile warranty through Chrysler on power train. Is that the norm or is it 8/80k?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my understanding that the lifetime powertrain warranty is not transferable. Even if it was transferable, I don't think electronics/computer would be covered. Only internal engine/transmission components. I do find it odd that they blamed the programmer since the tune has been installed for at least three months with no problems.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The power train control module for 2008 is covered under the emissions warranty for 8 years/80,000 miles.
You need to talk to the dealer you purchased the JK from.
Didn't know this. Emissions warranty should transfer.

Last edited by dcharge74; 02-25-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

I've contacted the dealership I bought it from and he says that they wouldn't have caught it if the motor and engine were running fine and passed inspection. I don't really know anything about programmers but it was installed under the dash on the drivers side and it was a small black box looked like it just plugged in w no dials or anything on it. I've been told by a few friends as well that the PCM should be covered for 8yrs 80k miles but of course the dealership that its at is saying the programmer fried the computer so it's not covered now. Is there a way to ask them to prove that's what caused it?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Crystal0UUU0
Yes they are stating that it had a 5yr 50k mile warranty through Chrysler on power train. Is that the norm or is it 8/80k?
As far as I know, the 2008 power train warranty (disregarding the lifetime warranty that is not transferable from the original owner), was 3 years/ 36,000 miles. Maybe it's still covered under a separately purchased warranty. Ask the dealer you purchased from.

The 8 year/80,000 mile warranty I mentioned applies to the pcm.

The dealer you purchased from should stand behind it, or at least give you a big break on the price.
After all, you didn't install the programmer, and they sold it to you as if it didn't have a programmer.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

The federal emissions warranty is what I'm being told says that the PCM is covered for 8/80 not a lifetime powertrain. My mistake.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Ok so the General Manager at the dealership contacted me today and stated that he would need to look over my paperwork, contact his "friend that owns a jeep shop" for his opinion, speak to the dealership that is servicing the jeep for verification and speak to the previous owner about the programmer? Last call I got from him today stated he didn't have a "slush fund" for things like this but that he is still waiting to hear back from the previous owner to find out more. This is all fine but he isn't saying he is going to fix this problem meanwhile I am wout transportation, just wondering if the dealership I purchased from should be responsible for the repair?

Quick Reply: PCM burnt out/warranty ?