Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pentastar Engine Assembly Date vs. Build Date

Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pentastar Engine Assembly Date vs. Build Date

I'm trying to gather some information, and I'm curious as to what the average time lag is between the assembly date of the Pentastar engines versus the build date of the JKs.

The assembly date of the engine is apparently handwritten on the block behind the balancer. Thanks to a poster in another thread for pointing this out, although I can't seem to find the post right now to give credit where credit is due. Here's a picture of mine with an assembly date of 03/31/12 (I wonder if they get differential pay for weekend work?).

Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineDate.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	356481

Combine this with the info from the door tag

DATE OF MFR(BUILT): MAY 12 (in the upper left-hand corner of the tag)
MDH: 053009 (in the lower right-hand corner of the tag)

indicates that my build date is 5/30/12. The print date of my build sheet also agrees with this.

So my point is that there's about a 2 month difference between the engine assembly date and the build date of my JK, and I'm curious whether this is typical of all the JKs, whether or not they're experiencing issues?

(As an aside, It'd be great if we could narrow down the manufacture date of each head, but I have no idea where to find that -- in fact, I'd bet that only Chrysler knows that for sure, because I recall reading an article about the RFID tracking on the Pentastar lines indicating that the RFID tracking tags were removed prior to final engine assembly, but that every part that went into the engine was recorded for QC purposes.)

Anyway, if other people don't mind crawling under their Pentastar JKs and finding the date and reporting the engine assembly date, build date, mileage, and whether or not they've had issues (and mileage it occurred at) and what the resolution was, it might make a nice addition to WendyJeepchick's spreadsheet.

Given the reported pace at which the Pentastars were being assembled to meet demand, I wouldn't think that individual parts (i.e. heads) would be sitting around long before they were slapped on a block, so I'm thinking that, although not perfect, the engine assembly date might be a lot closer to the head's manufacture date than the build date.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, too, and if it's a consistent two-month spread between engine assembly and vehicle build, then the build date is just about as good a measure as anything else.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Gort; 08-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20111013 with 12/11 build date

0 problems 10,103 miles
Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Engine block build date: 02/18/2012 (Saturday assembly)

Build sheet submitted/MDH: 06/08/2012

Date of assembly: 06/12/2012

So this indicates that my Jeep was built a mere four (4) days after the build date sheet was submitted, impressive to say the least. I find it almost pathetic that my motor was built almost four (4) months earlier. So even though my Jeep was built only two (2) months ago which is after the rumored "re-engineered" head design, my motor is six (6) months old. BTW, I just hit 1000 miles and I have a tick, yay!!!

Last edited by TejasRubi; 08-20-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Besides a whole lot of responses, the only other data point that I'd need for analysis on this is the monthly Pentastar production numbers in order to normalize the hopefully plentiful responses to an incidence per 1000 (or 100 or whatever) value.

Does anybody know where I can find the per-month Pentastar production numbers?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than sloppy hand writing

I can't tell if that's a 5 or 7

I'm guessing 5-21-2011 which means my engine sat around for 4 months before final build
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2450063158.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	356651   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4173751180.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	356652  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Here's mine, TejasRubi ours came from the same dealer
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Build Date.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	356666Click image for larger version

Name:	Vehicle Build Date.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	356668

Cant tell if the engine build is 05/01/2012 or 04/01/2012

Engine block build date: 04/01/2012 (Sunday or Tuesday for May assembly???) (April Fools???)

MDH: 053011 - 11th hour

Date of assembly: 05/30/2012
Old 08-21-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Engine Build: 5/14/11
Jeep Build: 9/11

12,800 miles with ticking. Taking it to third dealer tomorrow to see if someone will acknowledge there is a tick and hopefully contact Chrysler.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my engine has a build of 09/08/2011 and the JK was built on November 21st, 2011.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default What's the leading "20" signify

Originally Posted by Gort
I'm trying to gather some information, and I'm curious as to what the average time lag is between the assembly date of the Pentastar engines versus the build date of the JKs.

The assembly date of the engine is apparently handwritten on the block behind the balancer. Thanks to a poster in another thread for pointing this out, although I can't seem to find the post right now to give credit where credit is due. Here's a picture of mine with an assembly date of 03/31/12 (I wonder if they get differential pay for weekend work?).

Attachment 356481

Combine this with the info from the door tag

DATE OF MFR(BUILT): MAY 12 (in the upper left-hand corner of the tag)
MDH: 053009 (in the lower right-hand corner of the tag)

indicates that my build date is 5/30/12. The print date of my build sheet also agrees with this.

So my point is that there's about a 2 month difference between the engine assembly date and the build date of my JK, and I'm curious whether this is typical of all the JKs, whether or not they're experiencing issues?

(As an aside, It'd be great if we could narrow down the manufacture date of each head, but I have no idea where to find that -- in fact, I'd bet that only Chrysler knows that for sure, because I recall reading an article about the RFID tracking on the Pentastar lines indicating that the RFID tracking tags were removed prior to final engine assembly, but that every part that went into the engine was recorded for QC purposes.)

Anyway, if other people don't mind crawling under their Pentastar JKs and finding the date and reporting the engine assembly date, build date, mileage, and whether or not they've had issues (and mileage it occurred at) and what the resolution was, it might make a nice addition to WendyJeepchick's spreadsheet.

Given the reported pace at which the Pentastars were being assembled to meet demand, I wouldn't think that individual parts (i.e. heads) would be sitting around long before they were slapped on a block, so I'm thinking that, although not perfect, the engine assembly date might be a lot closer to the head's manufacture date than the build date.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, too, and if it's a consistent two-month spread between engine assembly and vehicle build, then the build date is just about as good a measure as anything else.

Just a thought.
What does the leading "20" signify?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hal9000
What does the leading "20" signify?
The century. The date is in YYYYMMDD format.

Quick Reply: Pentastar Engine Assembly Date vs. Build Date