JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   pentastar head problems? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/pentastar-head-problems-244789/)

jkrubcon 08-26-2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by egl1962 (Post 3180568)
at what mileage on the odometer is most people starting to experience the tick? and how about some build dates on vehicles that have the tick.

Even though this thread has been shut down you really should take the time to read it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ngines-227770/

33 williys 77 08-26-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wendy.Jeepchick (Post 3180478)
But you're saying that the design and materials used for the Pentastar will not be able to withstand extended high temps and/or the rigors of how we expect our Wranglers to perform on the trail. Which also corroborates the press release from Chrysler about specific conditions which cause the current issues. Is that right?

You will be fine if you have good heads and remember to follow some of the Jeeper rules.
1. Inspection
2. Maintenance
3. Quality parts and lubs
4. Good driving habits
5. Never go alone when on the trails

It is my understanding the reason for the bad batch of the penastar heads was the fact that the heads have no freeze plugs, therefore making it very difficult to clean out all the casting debris,( to my understanding thats why the plant in Saltillo, Mexico Manager was let go, poor clean out procedure and tooling out of spec ) casting debris restricted or plug the oil galleys in the AA heads Hence causing the tic ( internal lifter parts seizing ) and lack of lub reaching the cam follower,cough cough (rocker arm ).

This is why I stressed in a post finding the engine serial number to see if it has the T or S like the 3.8 does, this would be a good starting point.

Aluminum heads are noted for warping, when extreme heat is applied ( boil overs ) to many times, plus the fact that this engine has the open deck design, nothing to hold the top of the cylinder bore in place, only increases engine problems.

So to help alienate the heat build up, move as much air through the engine compartment as possible.

33:yup:

Wendy.Jeepchick 08-26-2012 01:33 PM

Thanks 33!

RoysRig 08-26-2012 01:47 PM

Should be interesting to see if the problem lessens going into the fall and winter. And then see if the problem grows again next spring to summer. Wonder if the extreme heat this summer all over helped in contributing to the problems.

Sunkist Rubi 08-27-2012 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by RoysRig (Post 3180749)
Should be interesting to see if the problem lessens going into the fall and winter. And then see if the problem grows again next spring to summer. Wonder if the extreme heat this summer all over helped in contributing to the problems.

Explain to me why the, theory of extreme heat, is causing oil flow to the lifters to stop. Yes heads do warp when they are heat cycled beyond their thermo limit. Has this happened to anybody? How would this cause a cast-in passage way to clinch up and stop the flow of oil to a lifter?

Nobody has stated, including Chrysler, that these engine are running any hotter then normal. If they were running hotter then normal how would the average person know? Other then your temperature gauge showing excessive heat; there is no way for you to know.

Considering this engine came out late 2010 early 2011 this would make it the second summer season for it to progress through. Funny the tic seems to have originated just slightly before the first of the year, as in my case, which is exactly the dead of the winter; the coldest time of the year where I live. What does that say about your heat theory?

RoysRig 08-27-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sunkist Rubi (Post 3182601)
Explain to me why the, theory of extreme heat, is causing oil flow to the lifters to stop. Yes heads do warp when they are heat cycled beyond their thermo limit. Has this happened to anybody? How would this cause a cast-in passage way to clinch up and stop the flow of oil to a lifter?

Nobody has stated, including Chrysler, that these engine are running any hotter then normal. If they were running hotter then normal how would the average person know? Other then your temperature gauge showing excessive heat; there is no way for you to know.

Considering this engine came out late 2010 early 2011 this would make it the second summer season for it to progress through. Funny the tic seems to have originated just slightly before the first of the year, as in my case, which is exactly the dead of the winter; the coldest time of the year where I live. What does that say about your heat theory?

Again, I don't believe that there is just one problem here. Explain to me why Chrysler is placing blame on "Fuel" and "Drive Cycle" neither have ANY thing to do with your situation. I don't know if heat has anything to do with it or not. I'm not thinking with a closed mind. Could heat in a cylinder cause the cast to break lose sooner, or more often, sure why not. Could a cast in an engine going from frozen to normal operating temps break free and cause problems, sure why not. Your so hell bent on this being the one and only problem. And here is another theory for you then(because all I'm doing is throwing ideas out there and seeing if they stick) if the cast floating around is getting into the lifters, then wouldn't it stand to reason that a person could break down their oil filters and check to see if there is any "cast" debris in it to see if their engine might be a future tic victim? I know damn well that any cast coming off the head doesn't just head for the lifter and stop there!

And btw, I use "Torque" app on my android phone connected to a blue tooth OBDII connector. I can see everything Revs, MPH, Ambient Air Temp, Coolant Temp, Boost, Trans Temp, Absolute Throttle Position, Accelerator Pedal Position, Air Fuel Ratio, Barometric Pressure(from vehicle), Catalyst Temperature(bank 1, bank2), CO2 in g/km, EGR, Engine Load, Engine Oil Temperature, Ethanol Fuel %, Evap System Vapour Pressure, Exhaust Gas Temperature <-------------And that's just up to the "E"'s I could go on and on, so don't even start to tell me I don't know the true temp my engine is running at. I know a hell of a lot more about my JK then you give me credit for.

33 williys 77 08-28-2012 12:36 AM

heat is extreme at times

Originally Posted by Sunkist Rubi (Post 3182601)

Quality parts and lubs

Your engine oil operates in an enviroment that runs from 250 to 400 degrees with these high out put small displacment engines. They are running hotter than ever. More horsepower have created extremely hot environments that receive less cooling from outside air. High heat leads to oil oxidation, deposits and thickening in oils. Because they are made from impure, irregular molecules, motor oils are more susceptible to the effects of heat. The small, light molecules in oil tend to evaporate as the oil is heated, leaving large, heavy molecules
behind and leading to oil consumption and an increase in the oil's viscosity. If those large, heavy molecules are chemically unstable, they may also break-down and form deposits on component surfaces, further inhibiting the release of heat into the oil stream.Even in relatively mild temperatures, oxygen works to break down some of the chemicals in lubricants. The extreme heat in engines actually promotes oxidation. When oil contaminants break down, they coat components with varnish, deposits and sludge and leave the lubricant thick, hard to pump and with very poor heat transfer ability.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...2&d=1346141768

(Talk about using the wrong oil here !! poor owner)

Now the penastar engineers know of this problem, thats why they added an oil cooler to the engine (a plate-style cooler to oil heat exchanger) and is mounted to the oil filter housing, mounted between the heads,(But it is my opinion they weren't thinking jeep environment !
and the oil cooler is to small and in the wrong place to be effective for a jeep environment. thinking mud, dust, and debris in the engine compartment)

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...3&d=1346141807

So (Sponsoring Manufacturer & Vendor looking at this post think an aux plate-style spin on oil cooler) for added cooling.

Originally Posted by RoysRig (Post 3182804)
And btw, I use "Torque" app on my android phone connected to a blue tooth OBDII connector. I can see everything Revs, MPH, Ambient Air Temp, Coolant Temp, Boost, Trans Temp, Absolute Throttle Position, Accelerator Pedal Position, Air Fuel Ratio, Barometric Pressure(from vehicle), Catalyst Temperature(bank 1, bank2), CO2 in g/km, EGR, Engine Load, Engine Oil Temperature, Ethanol Fuel %, Evap System Vapour Pressure, Exhaust Gas Temperature <-------------And that's just up to the "E"'s I could go on and on, so don't even start to tell me I don't know the true temp my engine is running at. I know a hell of a lot more about my JK then you give me credit for.

Hey Roy these smartphones can do this ( I'm old and dumb about smartphones ) and I just got an Android, Please PM me the specs on the equipment used !

33:yup:

Sunkist Rubi 08-28-2012 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by RoysRig (Post 3182804)
Again, I don't believe that there is just one problem here. Explain to me why Chrysler is placing blame on "Fuel" and "Drive Cycle" neither have ANY thing to do with your situation. I don't know if heat has anything to do with it or not. I'm not thinking with a closed mind. Could heat in a cylinder cause the cast to break lose sooner, or more often, sure why not. Could a cast in an engine going from frozen to normal operating temps break free and cause problems, sure why not. Your so hell bent on this being the one and only problem. And here is another theory for you then(because all I'm doing is throwing ideas out there and seeing if they stick) if the cast floating around is getting into the lifters, then wouldn't it stand to reason that a person could break down their oil filters and check to see if there is any "cast" debris in it to see if their engine might be a future tic victim? I know damn well that any cast coming off the head doesn't just head for the lifter and stop there!

I never said you didn't know a lot about your JK. I've also said from the very beginning that Chrysler had problems with their head castings. If you read another thread by me I talk about the BS Chrysler is throwing out to confuse people who don't know a lot about internal combustion engines.

Can your Android tell the difference between your Jeep idling on on a hot blacktop parking lot compared to it sitting in a shallow stream out in the woods? To accurately compare heat generation from an engine you need a baseline at a specific location in other words a controlled enviroment. This controlled enviroment has to have a consistant temperature and humidity level because all of these factors will impact the heat being developed when your engine is running. I could go on about your android phone being accurately calibrated to output consistant temp readings. This could be a number of things with your phone how charged up is the battery, do you have it plugged in to your AC output in your Jeep, do you have it plugged into your garage wall outlet?

Are you leaving your Jeep running the exact amount of time from start-up to the moment of temp measurement. Do you have the exact quantity of engine coolant flowing through the engine block? Is this flow consistant every time a temperature comparison is made? Do you want me to go on with all lof the other variables that could be occurring with the enviroment and your engine?

Sunkist Rubi 08-28-2012 03:18 AM

[QUOTE=33 williys 77;3183103]Quality parts and lubs

Your engine oil operates in an enviroment that runs from 250 to 400 degrees with these high out put small displacment engines. They are running hotter than ever. More horsepower have created extremely hot environments that receive less cooling from outside air. High heat leads to oil oxidation, deposits and thickening in oils. Because they are made from impure, irregular molecules, motor oils are more susceptible to the effects of heat. The small, light molecules in oil tend to evaporate as the oil is heated, leaving large, heavy molecules
behind and leading to oil consumption and an increase in the oil's viscosity. If those large, heavy molecules are chemically unstable, they may also break-down and form deposits on component surfaces, further inhibiting the release of heat into the oil stream.Even in relatively mild temperatures, oxygen works to break down some of the chemicals in lubricants. The extreme heat in engines actually promotes oxidation. When oil contaminants break down, they coat components with varnish, deposits and sludge and leave the lubricant thick, hard to pump and with very poor heat transfer ability.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...2&d=1346141768

(Talk about using the wrong oil here !! poor owner)

Now the penastar engineers know of this problem, thats why they added an oil cooler to the engine (a plate-style cooler to oil heat exchanger) and is mounted to the oil filter housing, mounted between the heads,(But it is my opinion they weren't thinking jeep environment !
and the oil cooler is to small and in the wrong place to be effective for a jeep environment. thinking mud, dust, and debris in the engine compartment)

Your theory is somewhat plausible on engines with high mileage. With today's oil technology, added detergents and cleaning agents your theory is pretty much a moot point.

Our problem concerning the valve train tic is occurring with less then 4000 miles on the engine. Do you really think oil deposits are forming after that short amount of time? I highly doubt it.

Sunkist Rubi 08-28-2012 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by lank (Post 3183259)
His Android phone is not measuring the temperature, it is simply reporting it. He said it is connected to the OBDII port - this means it is pulling data directly from the vehicle's CAN network. This information is coming from sensors on the vehicle itself. The phone is simply collecting and displaying information; calibration of the phone doesn't come into the picture anywhere.

Thanks for the clarification. You would still need a controlled enviroment to compare various temps at any given moment. As I said you could be sitting on a hot asphalt parking lot, your cooling fluid could be low, etc.

My neighbor bought a '12 Sport it doesn't have the hood noise absorption pad. Well this pad is present on my JKR. This could potentially make my engine run hotter because it's insulating the hood and stopping additional heat from escaping into the atmosphere.

What would you say then the noise absorption pad is causing the valve train tic?:blush: