Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Performance question. What 1st?

Old 12-25-2006, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance question. What 1st?

Looking for the most bang for the buck. I plan on mods for the air intake, exhaust, + a performance chip. Now that Christmas is over most of the $$ is spent. My question is...
Would my JK receive the best performance benefit from a Cold Air Intake or a stage I Performance chip as the first modification? I didn't want to mess with the exhaust at this point.
Please, all points of view are welcome.

Last edited by Robar; 12-25-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd get a intake first...
Old 12-25-2006, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
Looking for the most bang for the buck. I plan on mods for the air intake, exhaust, + a performance chip. Now that Christmas is over most of the $$ is spent. My question is...
Would my JK receive the best performance benefit from a Cold Air Intake or a stage I Performance chip as the first modification? I didn't want to mess with the exhaust at this point.
I think if you are going to put both the cai and exhaust on at some point you might do the chip last and think of a stage 2.from what i have read you will get more bang for your buck with the CAI or exhaust vs the chip.on my last jeep i did the CAI 1st then exhaust the jk i did the exhaust 1st then CAI and i can't say that the order matted that much in my case.putting the chip in should be last from the mixed reviews we have seen on the broads.

Last edited by tolh13; 12-25-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't gotten mine yet but first on the list is CAI get it breathing good. I am still reading reviews on all the exauhsts. 1, 2, how much back pressure etc....am I going to have to go back to college to work on this thing?
Old 12-25-2006, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

hey Tolh13, what cai kit did you get, from where, and how much? how easy was the install, and can you notice a diff? Thanks. Sorry for the 20 questions.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

I have an AIRAID system. The sound is quiet unless 70% throttle or more. I like it alot. Better filtering, Easy to clean and gives me the feeling my JK is really moving.
Mileage has been around 20.5 MPG. This will be my only Performance mod.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:29 PM
JK Freak

Default CAI & Exhaust

Tohl13 is correct- I'd do the CAI & Exhaust the performance numbers seem to indicate it's the way to move and the exhaust is really pretty easy at your local muffler shop. The dyno showed the chip didn't produce enough bang for the buck. Just my read on it.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ericdewayne
hey Tolh13, what cai kit did you get, from where, and how much? how easy was the install, and can you notice a diff? Thanks. Sorry for the 20 questions.
got it at www.jeepline.com for $224.95 with free shipping but Quadratec will match free shipping if you call them.It took about 45 min to install including rounding up the tools and putting them back.it was very easy to do.it all lined up well and i was very very impressed with the quality of the kit.made the k&n i put on my tj look 2nd rate.as far as the difference its like doing the exhaust almost the some improvement some more off the line and keeps going up to redline.it's a little loud when you really put your foot in it.I think it was well worth the $224.95 and the $200. for the magna flow.so $424.99 takes away any complaint about power.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

Thanks all. I was leaning toward the CAI, but wanted confirmation. I have a couple of gift certificates I am going to use towards the purchase of an AEM Brute Force CAI.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robar
I'd go with the CAI first, then exhaust, then Performance Chip. Remember, the engine is nothing more than a huge air pump. Once you get it breathng better in and out then stick in the performance chip.

Quick Reply: Performance question. What 1st?