JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Plug wire from stealer-ship (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/plug-wire-stealer-ship-184803/)

rfrogman 07-03-2011 07:13 AM

Plug wire from stealer-ship

WTF, so I broke a plug wire on my 07 while changing the spark plugs. So off to the local parts stores Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boy and O'Rileys. None of them had a set of plug wires. I was told it would take 3-5 days to order because they are a factory part. Trusting very few people I checked online and to my amazement Amazon and Quadratec had them but nothing local. This meant my daily driver would be down for 3-5 days for simple plug wires. I finally broke down and check a local dealership. $69 dollars, $20 dollars more than online including shipping. So I had no choice but to buy them to get my JK back up and running. And they wonder why people refer to them as stealer-ships. It just does not make sense, why in the world would you not be able to find common parts for a five year old vehicle at the local parts store? I assume it is because the plug wires have the plastic wire loom around them. Customized, NOT, only difference between them and standard plug wires. Just a bunch of BS.

Sorry, extremely pissed and had to vent.

jdk 07-03-2011 07:28 AM

Send your letter to the parts stories, might open there eyes to a market they are missing.

Lilahs Jeep 07-03-2011 12:50 PM

One more way the Stealer-ship is sticking it to you after American bailed them out!

trickynick 07-03-2011 01:12 PM

Wow... Over 20 bucks? You broke it, not the "stealership".. Sounds like you should be mad at yourself..

Lilahs Jeep 07-04-2011 06:54 AM

I think the point being made was that the part was broken no big deal. Big deal was when he drove around looking for a 2007 part in the year 2011 and no one having it and the only place having it was the dealership for $20 over what other people were charging. Mad about the markup and availbility. For Christ sakes hes a fellow Jeeper that got hosed, let him vent. But that's just how I read it.

carolinajk 07-04-2011 07:03 AM

ahhhhh the dealership , they make about 50 percent of their revenue from parts and service . just like the throttle position sensor on my sons 89 civic, its attached with headless bolts the dealer says you have to buy the whole throttle boddy assy jus for the tps , ebay had them all day long for 19 bux .... go figure . looks like they would realize they lose alot of business to the aftermarket . also the more commonly broken , used parts oftenhave a higher price then the less used ones , some not all . crazy pricing though i agree

rfrogman 07-04-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lilahs Jeep (Post 2384641)
I think the point being made was that the part was broken no big deal. Big deal was when he drove around looking for a 2007 part in the year 2011 and no one having it and the only place having it was the dealership for $20 over what other people were charging. Mad about the markup and availbility. For Christ sakes hes a fellow Jeeper that got hosed, let him vent. But that's just how I read it.

You read it correct....thanks for having my back.

trickynick 07-04-2011 09:41 AM

How much did you spend in gas riding around looking for your part? If its anything like my jeep probably at least 10 bucks. Not trying to be negative about this but I hate the phrase stealership... They had what you needed.. How bout giving them some credit.

Mark Doiron 07-04-2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lilahs Jeep
One more way the Stealer-ship is sticking it to you after American bailed them out!

I would be interested in knowing what brand or specific dealership hasn't been doing this since before Ronald Reagan was president. Please, do tell.

ronjenx 07-04-2011 12:32 PM

Why wouldn't a generic plug wire have worked until the OEM part came in?

Why not call around instead of driving to each parts store?