Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunkist Rubi
You have to sit back and take this into perspective; Chrysler surpassed 1 million Pentastar 3.6L engines this past January. Do you think they know how many of these engines may or may not be at fault? I'm sure people are wondering why they don't do a total recall. If you consider a ball park figure of $2,000.00 for a head replacement. If they did a total recall and had to replace half of the heads on this engine; that's a BILLION, with a "B", dollars.

Many of these engines are in a lot of different models throughout the entire world. Some of these engines may not have made it into a vehicle yet and are still in storage waiting to be mated to a freshly built Mopar product.
You're spot on ... many of these components were manufactured in Mexico and other places, final assembly being in the Mexico plant. The best new owners can hope for is they bought a good one and will never have problems - however this will place a huge dent in resale value. The worst, well... be ready to fight with Chrysler over what is "normal" vs "defective" ... the more this is affecting the balance sheet, the more they will resist and admit ticking problems are defective components.

Chrysler / Jeep engineering just can't execute like they did in the past... not sure why, maybe they've laid-off the older engineers and resorted to hiring interns to design new products. This is a huge miss in my opinion and will take a couple years of engineering changes to remedy.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by m998dna
... be ready to fight with Chrysler over what is "normal" vs "defective" ...
Like normal oil consumption of a quart every 1,000 miles on the 3.8. When money is involved, it's amazing what is considered 'normal' on their part.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

My 12 with 2000 miles makes a loud slapping noise at light acceleration from 2800-3200 rpms. Sounds like a valve train issue.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

A buddy of mine just bought a 12 mw3 last month. With build date 3/12. With 100 mi on it, started ticking very bad.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

My build date is 12/11, it was smooth and quiet until first oil change(3005 miles) . It started ticking after that. Enough to make me check and see if they put enough oil in it. Oil looked good. This was done at the dealership, twice so far now with 7500 miles. Ticking has stayed constant.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

They started production on these motors in Satillo, Mexico in January 2011, with several startup issues. As the plant ramped-up inventory from March 2011 through August 2011, for 2012 MY production and assembly, they found significant problems with the 3.6L engines, which led to dismissing the head of Chrysler Mexico.

Here's a quote from Allpar news:

October 14, 2011 update
Sources say that thousands of engines, including over 500 which were recalled, were built in Mexico using improperly maintained equipment; these engines are being repaired or replaced entirely. This is said to be the reason for shutting down the Windsor minivan plant despite a backlog of orders. The former head of Chrysler Mexico was dismissed shortly after this. This does show that Chrysler cares enough about quality to stop those engines from reaching customers, at great cost. It might also tip the balance to install a new engine assembly line at Trenton North; a cam line was already installed there after a Mexican supplier was unable to provide the needed quantities.

My question is how many "thousands" actually made it into vehicles?... I think these problem engines are in sold vehicles and now are surfacing in need of repair. Sorry Chrysler, you don't turn quality around in a poor performing plant in less than a year. By January 27, 2012, one million Pentastar engines had been made... I wonder how many of those were manufactured and assembled in the Satillo, Mexico plant?

This is the reason I will wait this out for another year...

Last edited by m998dna; 04-29-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

check your window sticker....all wrangler 3.6 are U.S. origin, not Mexico. The Mexico engines are going in Cherokee and Chrysler 300..etc. Check a Chrysler window sticker...Engine:MX
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rtguy1
check your window sticker....all wrangler 3.6 are U.S. origin, not Mexico. The Mexico engines are going in Cherokee and Chrysler 300..etc. Check a Chrysler window sticker...Engine:MX
Okay .... I guess Allpar is wrong or 20% of the 3.6L engines that are built in Trenton are employees that are loaded. This is a combination of poor component engineering, supplier quality and assembly quality... those components could come from anywhere. China, Mexico, Ohio, you name it.

Allpar March 27, 2011 update.
Direct injection 3.2 liter engine production is reportedly coming close, and should be centered in Trenton, with Mexico producing most of the 3.6 liter engines. The 3.2 is planned as a more economical variant for many vehicles, and possibly the only Liberty V6. It appears that each plant will run both engines. We will start running pre production parts shortly. I am not sure when actual production will launch but but the build ratio will be 80% of the 3.2s are to be built at Trenton with 80% of the 3.6 in Satillo. We are going to start stock piling some crankshafts this weekend so that we have them to use when the two new machines are being installed in the rough end of the crankshaft line, probably by May.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JKForums_5.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	310842  

Last edited by m998dna; 04-29-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by m998dna
You can find your build date on the end of the driver door... see attached.

Thanks! I didn't even have time to wonder where I'd find that.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Sunkist Rubi;2984535]Build date 1-12, 3520 miles, driver's side valve train ticking. I have a dealer appointment next week. I was told they will measure the lifter head bore but most likely will replace the lifter first. The service manager told me they need authorization from Chrysler to replace the head. If Chrysler finds nothing wrong with the assumed faulty head, which must be sent in for inspection; the dealer pays for it 100%.

Chrysler makes and sets the requirements. If the ticking still remains after the lifter replacement, I would believe the next course of action is a head replacement.

I have heard on another forum through a youtube video with sound and my down the street neighbor's brand new JKU engine in operation, there is absolutely no ticking; it is very quiet.

why are they saying lifters need replacement it is an ohc engine and has followers or tappets that are acted on directly by the cam which in turn opens the valves . also what lifter bore are they referring to ? someone educate me is it an oil supply bore or gallery ?

Last edited by carolinajk; 04-29-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines