Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya
Yes, there has been a ticking problem on some 3.6L's, some caused by a valve lash problem. There is a thread elsewhere. Chrysler has been replacing the whole head, & it maybe contained to early 2012's.
thats good to hear.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by webejeepin
You got it!!

I printed out the details of how to fix the steering clunk (from this forum), gave it to my dealer, and had them cover it under warranty...no issues.

We have strength in numbers!
Do you still have the link???
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly! Warranty = their problem

Originally Posted by Pete1971
I heard this also it's not all just some ( earlyer ones I'd assume) I have a warrenty, I'm NOT worried about it
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

I read all I could about this issue before deciding to buy the 2012 with the 3.6. From what I understand it was a defect in the manufacture process... something was off just a bit but it's been remedied and from what I read WAS only an issue early on, as was mentioned previously in the thread, they were addressing the problem with a head replacement. But I haven't been seeing anything about people having this problem lately.

When did your relative get this information?

here is a link to one thread i found particulary informative:

meh it won't let me link it, just do a search on google for: 3.6l pentastar wrangler tic

I like to collect knowledge from any and all sources before drawing my own conclusions.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Getting my head replaced on the driver's side for the ticking noise. Dealership ordered a head 3 weeks ago, received it yesterday, re-ordered another head cuz it was damaged. 3 weeks without a jeep and another 2 before the replacement for the damaged head comes in. My 2012 Jeep has a production date of Sept 2011.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default 3.6L Engine Ticking

Hi all,
I just started to notice the ticking noise. It's coming from the drivers side. My build date is 11/2011, and I have about 6K miles on the odometer. There doesn't seem to be any common thread as to which 2012 JK's are affected because it seems to be wide spread. Another forum I visit has a huge thread on this topic and those posting had build dates ranging from 8/2011 to 12/2011. From what I understand it is taking a long time for the heads to ship because they are on a national back order. The scary thing is that some folks who have had their head(s) replaced are reporting that the ticking noise came back. Also, it seems that many jeep/dodge/chrysler service departments first will change the oil, reprogram the ECU or replace parts that don't need to be replaced before replacing the head(s) or engine as there is no TSB out. Most people report being without their JK's for no less than 2 weeks while the shop repairs it... which really sux!

I've had some backfiring on acceleration lately, and noticable ticking, but no CEL. I guess it's time to call the service deptartment, but Im a little hesitant if people are reporting the same ticking even after the head was replaced.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kludwig13
Do you still have the link???
Here's the link I used, worked like a charm!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-people-11927/

Best of luck!

Let Us know how you make out....I did mine over six months ago VIA the dealer...no issues since. And FYI..thye did not remove the shaft, just pulled the boot back, lube it up, and pulled boot back over, one hose clamp...done
Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

My build date is 10/11 and I have 2,900 miles at this point. I have not heard the "ticking" yet. Hopeful my head is fine.

If you're wondering what the "ticking" sounds like, you can look on youtube for videos that give you the sound. It's pretty distinctive.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

My build date is 9/11. Having my Drivers side head replaced today FINALLY!!! Can't wait to get the jeep back!!! Been without the jeep for 4 weeks now. Keeping my fingers crossed this fixes my ticking issue.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

my build date is 9/11 also took it in for the ticking and they replaced my lifters noise is still there the tech said the noise is normal even though it was the same noise i took it in for in the first place that they said was not normal. will keep driving it and see what happens.

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines