Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build date of 2/12 on mine and I am hearing slight ticking.. I didnt even notice it till i kept reading this thread and got worried then listened and compared mine to some youtube vids... Has anyone who has taken this problem to the dealer had any issue with their jeep being modified and dealer not wanting to work on it.. I know a lift is not affecting the motor directly and this is a widespread issue i just would like to know if im going to receive any flack from the dealer about it.... also what was the turnaround time from bringing your rig in to rolling out with it fixed?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hate my ticking sound so much
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver
Larger tires most definitely directly affect the motor...that's why your gas mileage goes down, and your acceleration is slower.

I'm not saying that's the cause of your problem though, but I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer took it into consideration.

Remember though, no matter what the dealer says, it's ultimately up to Chrysler.
If the dealer says no, it's up to you to make some phone calls.
I agree although no more so than towing would reduce mpgs or increase engine strain.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Bigger tires are not going to cause engine problems. The problems with the 3.6 are manufacturing flaws in the heads. Chrysler is addressing the issue slowly but surely.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

has anyone with a later build date than 2/12 had any problems? I just ordered one this week and now Im kinda worried its going to have the problems. Hopefully they straightened it out by now.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

My unlimited sport build date was 02/12. No issues yet. (fingers crossed).
Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Rho
JK Newbie

I'm fairly new to the forum, but a long time lurker.
Anyways, picked up a new '12 JKU sport and have a slight ticking developing on the drivers side at 2500 miles with a build date of 12/11.

Its not loud yet like my 89 XJ that had a few lifters that liked to stick when it was cold out... But this is something I'll be keeping an eye or... ear on.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed to keep track of this thread.....
I too have an early model 2012 JKU.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everything is still going great with my head replacement. Let me say one thing about the tech at the dealership who worked on my rig. You CAN NOT tell that it had any work done at all!!! He did an incredible job!!

I will keep everyone informed as time goes on as to how the new head is doing and if any problems develop. So far so good
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nakednuns
Everything is still going great with my head replacement. Let me say one thing about the tech at the dealership who worked on my rig. You CAN NOT tell that it had any work done at all!!! He did an incredible job!!

I will keep everyone informed as time goes on as to how the new head is doing and if any problems develop. So far so good
Sure is nice when your Jeep is worked on by a pro with excellent craft, care, and attention to detail.

I will keep an eye on this thread, and hope everyone who has an issue is taken care of. I'm not in that boat, I have the 3.8L

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines