Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering Leakage

Old 03-02-2019, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering Leakage

Hey what's going on everyone?

So I recently had a serpentine belt shred to pieces on me. I later found out that the cause of the belt shredding was because an idler pulley blew up on me. So after replacing both idler pulleys and the belt. I now have a new problem of a leaking power steering pump. I have tried running the Lucas Oil Power Steering fluid that is supposed to fix leaks. I ran it and got all of the air out of the lines, but as soon as a shut the engine off I get a pretty good drip coming straight from the pulley.

Right now there are little strands of the old belt all jammed up behind the pulley. I have cleared as much out as I can but its not exactly the easiest place to clear out behind the pulley. So I am thinking when the belt shredded, it got wrapped around and maybe bent the pulley or damaged the seal.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone else had this similar experience with the pump leaking?
2. The pump seems fine, when I get all of the air, my steering is quiet and fine. Do I replace the pump or just a seal?
3. How difficult of a replace is?
4. Where should I buy the pump? Is there an aftermarket pump that is better than the stock?

Thanks for all the help and advise. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

That's a bummer and, yes, I'm betting you bent the shaft when the belt was pulled into the PS pulley.

1. I have not.

2. I don't know if you can replace the seal, but if it's leaking, that's likely because the shaft is bent and, at that point, you may as well replace the entire thing.

3. It's pretty easy to replace. Two lines, one is rubber (low pressure, comes from your PS reservoir) and the other is metal (hi pressure and goes to your steering gear box). I think there's like 4 bolts that hold it on.

4. There ARE aftermarket pumps available (PSC for example), but no reason for you to consider more than an OEM pump unless you have plans of going with hydraulic assisted steering in the future. I'd just go to RockAuto and buy one from there.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I've not replaced the PS pump so no clue on cost, but this was just posted and thought of your thread.....should you care -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/market/349373

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leakage