Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Pressure Plate &/or Throwout Bearing... Cost?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pressure Plate &/or Throwout Bearing... Cost?

Hey fellas,

2008 Jeep JKU sahara 44k miles. 6 Speed manual transmission.
After a long road trip or wheeling the jeep gets a "chatter noise"
When you depress the clutch pedal the chattering noise goes away.
Sounds like a potential throwout bearing right?

The mechanic suggests doing the throwout bearing, Pressure plate, clutch & fluids etc for $991 labor included.

Do I just say bite the bullet and have them do it? I have never had a newer vehicle with this problem. Just old American muscle cars which needed a new clutch which was just a couple few hundred bucks...

Is this a "normal" price for this service (Throwout bearing, clutch. Pressure Plate, fluids & misc parts)?
Advice?

Last edited by RescueGreen#3; 03-27-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my throw out bearing replaced a few months back in my 08. I got the clutch kit online at advance auto and used the 20percent off coupon so it was only about $200. My shop only charged $250 to install it. I would call around and try to find an old local shop. The first place was going to charge over $500 to install and my uncle has 4 shops in South Carolina and he looked up the labor time and I think it was about 4.5 hours so he told me $500 was way to much to pay for labor.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

While it's always a crapshoot trying to diagnose somebody's tranny noise, especially on-line, I think that most would agree that anytime you drop the tranny, you might as well replace all the usual components. It's a "pay me now or pay me later" kind of situation.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thx, yeah... That's what I thought too. Btw, nice caddis/stimulator you got there.

Salmonfly hatch in 2 months!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem you describe is absolutely the throwout bearing. I would do as recommended and the price seems reasonable to me. Pretty much every JK built in 07-08 came with this problem from the factory. Make sure you don't replace it with the factory part or you will have the same problem again very shortly. The clutch plates were also defective from the factory in 07-08. Go aftermarket on those also.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

The new updated oem clutch kit was $365
The new throw out bearing was $100
A new pivot unit was $30
Parts, New fluids & misc parts added up to $565

Four hours of labor and it was right into the estimated $990 total.

Kind of sucks but, I know it has a warranty from them.

After reading further into replacing the clutch and throwout bearing on the jk, I know it was something that I could not have tackled by myself on the garage floor.
I could have had a neighbor mechanic do it for around $750 total but, the $200 increase of having the dealer put a warranty on it made the difference.

Good news, I got a new water pump, fluids etc covered under the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty! Also, the brand new 3:73 gears, carrier and TracLok & fluids etc all covered under warranty! That made a huge difference having a good service manager who didn't balk at the lift, 33" rubber & aftermarket stuff.

I feel like it was worth it. Spendy as hell, but, probably worth it

Last edited by RescueGreen#3; 04-02-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default Gabriel

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK I'm having problems getting into gear any gear can someone tell me what it might be throwout bearing or maybe the master cylinder of the hydraulics
Old 05-12-2019, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default Gabriel

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK I'm having problems getting into gear any gear can someone tell me what it might be throwout bearing or maybe the master cylinder of the hydraulics. Can someone give me a hand and help me out on this what it may be
Old 05-12-2019, 09:35 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabriel Cardenas
I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK I'm having problems getting into gear any gear can someone tell me what it might be throwout bearing or maybe the master cylinder of the hydraulics. Can someone give me a hand and help me out on this what it may be
Is the clutch unusually easy to press, especially initially? Is there noise, and does that noise change when pressing the clutch pedal?

Side note, it's usually better to start a new thread for situations like this.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually when you can't get it into gear it's the clutch disc thats worn out.

Quick Reply: Pressure Plate &/or Throwout Bearing... Cost?