Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Print repair manual rec?

Old 09-17-2017, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Print repair manual rec?

I'd like a paper repair manual for my jk, like I've had for most of my vehicles over the years. Forums will still be my first go-to, but let's get real, it's not like I always have internet access. Word is that the standard Chilton and Haynes books are fairly worthless, trying to span decades worth of models, and the $$$ manufacturer one seems like overkill. (Also, Windows-specific electronic version!? No thanks.) Are there any other options out there? Are there likely to be any coming once the JLs are out, since these manuals tend to lag a bit?
Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Haynes is pretty poor for this model. You can get an AllData subscription but I'm not sure you can print the entire thing.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Unless it's just for general information, the only automotive manuals worth having are the factory ones. Last time I looked all that was available for later models are the digital version on disc or a subscription.

Mine is old enough that there was a printed version, that's what I prefer too. The electronic versions should allow printing, but someone with that would have to verify it. On the plus side, the disc is less expensive than printed. https://www.techauthority.com/

Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

I'm willing to start with relatively general info, at least to the point where the factory service manual seems like overkill. Also, it's Windows-only, and while I can probably hack something together, I don't really feel like installing an OS because they're afraid someone will actually print and use it.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Unless it's just for general information, the only automotive manuals worth having are the factory ones. Last time I looked all that was available for later models are the digital version on disc or a subscription.

Mine is old enough that there was a printed version, that's what I prefer too. The electronic versions should allow printing, but someone with that would have to verify it. On the plus side, the disc is less expensive than printed. https://www.techauthority.com/

I just searched on the techauthority site for a 2007 and it isn't clear that is a print pub. Either that, or it has no dimensions and weights zero pounds. In the past that was actually a CD, which I have a copy of (an old version), and it required Internet Explorer 7 to work and became defunct once that was replaced by IE 8. Needless to say, I'm not interested in going down that path again.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Haynes is pretty poor for this model. You can get an AllData subscription but I'm not sure you can print the entire thing.
A friend of mine did that and got most of the manual, but he did say that they got suspicious of what he was doing and gave him a bit of grief. You'll be doing a lot of printing; his fills at least a half dozen 3" three ring binders! It took him the better part of 30 days, and he's retired.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Pdf

Jeep Wrangler JK 2007-2011 Factory Workshop Repair & Service Manual - Workshop Service Manuals

Mark, I haven't tried this (yet?) -- It's a PDF 4500+ page download that's only 15 bucks.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I contacted Chrysler and they sent me a complete manual for free.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Jeep Wrangler JK 2007-2011 Factory Workshop Repair & Service Manual - Workshop Service Manuals

Mark, I haven't tried this (yet?) -- It's a PDF 4500+ page download that's only 15 bucks.

That looks legit. LOL. But the price is right. I'm just always reluctant give such sites my credit card info. But, I do have one that is being replaced with a new number. Hmmm.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by KBennett2007
I contacted Chrysler and they sent me a complete manual for free.
Repair manual? Or owner's manual? The repair manual is actually several large books, including the basic manual (how to remove and replace the engine, breakdown the transmission, etc), the wiring diagrams, and the body repair book (sheetmetal and FMC repairs, etc). I didn't think that Chrysler actually used any printed copies, which is why they've been so difficult to source. In the past, auto manufacturers sold them through the options page in the owner's manual.

Quick Reply: Print repair manual rec?