Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Programming spare keys

Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys

Hi,

My dad recently purchased a 2011 JK that only came with one key. When we went to get the second key made, I asked the guy and he assured us that this was going to be a master key and not a clone. So at that point I had two keys made. I ordered a third off the internet and had it cut at a local locksmith. I went out to program it and tried twice. I inserted the first key, removed it after 10 seconds, inserted the second key, removed that after 10 seconds, and when I entered the third key, which was unprogrammed, the Sentry light started blinking there were no chimes and the light didn't stop blinking until I removed it like you revised instructions stated. I proceeded to start the Jeep and after 2 seconds the Sentry light started blinking. I quickly turned the Jeep off so it wouldn't lock up. (Read it on the internet, not sure if it's true or not and don't want to find out the hard way.) Maybe the keys are too close to the ignition and it's messing it up?

Thanks in advance,
Danny
Old 07-11-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hookemdan
Hi, My dad recently purchased a 2011 JK that only came with one key. When we went to get the second key made, I asked the guy and he assured us that this was going to be a master key and not a clone. So at that point I had two keys made. I ordered a third off the internet and had it cut at a local locksmith. I went out to program it and tried twice. I inserted the first key, removed it after 10 seconds, inserted the second key, removed that after 10 seconds, and when I entered the third key, which was unprogrammed, the Sentry light started blinking there were no chimes and the light didn't stop blinking until I removed it like you revised instructions stated. I proceeded to start the Jeep and after 2 seconds the Sentry light started blinking. I quickly turned the Jeep off so it wouldn't lock up. (Read it on the internet, not sure if it's true or not and don't want to find out the hard way.) Maybe the keys are too close to the ignition and it's messing it up? Thanks in advance, Danny
Most likely it's:
1) the third key you bought is a dud transponder;
2) the third key transponder is ok but you didn't program it correctly (so try again);
Or 3) the ignition Sentry isn't seeing your first two keys as sufficiently different.

You need two different members of the same series to program a third.

The ignition is allowed ten keys in a series. Something like: xx0, xx1, xx2, ..., xx9.
You need two different keys (for example xx1 and xx2) to program the next open member of the series (up to 10 total).

But you can't use two identically programmed keys (for example an xx1 and another xx1) because the system needs to see two different members of the series so it can distinguish them from just having a single key.

So it's possible that the locksmith made an exact programmed copy of your original key (like the xx1 and xx1 example).
Old 07-11-2014, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Key

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Most likely it's:
1) the third key you bought is a dud transponder;
2) the third key transponder is ok but you didn't program it correctly (so try again);
Or 3) the ignition Sentry isn't seeing your first two keys as sufficiently different.

You need two different members of the same series to program a third.

The ignition is allowed ten keys in a series. Something like: xx0, xx1, xx2, ..., xx9.
You need two different keys (for example xx1 and xx2) to program the next open member of the series (up to 10 total).

But you can't use two identically programmed keys (for example an xx1 and another xx1) because the system needs to see two different members of the series so it can distinguish them from just having a single key.

So it's possible that the locksmith made an exact programmed copy of your original key (like the xx1 and xx1 example).
Thanks for the quick response Jiblet.

I know that when the guy programmed the second key, he plugged the computer directly into the OBD II port. I was going to let the Jeep run longer and see if it automatically shut off or not. Will the Jeep lock out if it shuts itself off?

Thanks,
Danny
Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hookemdan
Thanks for the quick response Jiblet. I know that when the guy programmed the second key, he plugged the computer directly into the OBD II port. I was going to let the Jeep run longer and see if it automatically shut off or not. Will the Jeep lock out if it shuts itself off? Thanks, Danny
I don't believe the jeep will "lock out". Honestly, I've never heard that before.

The way I understand it is that if an invalid key (cut but not programmed) is used, the ignition will start but cutout after two seconds. The engine won't run for the invalid key but there shouldn't be any lasting effect when a valid key (cut and programmed) is subsequently used.

I suspect that if you try to program a key and fail, you only find out when the engine won't run. So you just keep trying. People have posted that they've had to try the programming procedure more than once but no one has mentioned any type of lockout that I've read. And it's not mentioned in my manual (2008). I think you're safe to try letting it run. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default Spare Key

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I don't believe the jeep will "lock out". Honestly, I've never heard that before.

The way I understand it is that if an invalid key (cut but not programmed) is used, the ignition will start but cutout after two seconds. The engine won't run for the invalid key but there shouldn't be any lasting effect when a valid key (cut and programmed) is subsequently used.

I suspect that if you try to program a key and fail, you only find out when the engine won't run. So you just keep trying. People have posted that they've had to try the programming procedure more than once but no one has mentioned any type of lockout that I've read. And it's not mentioned in my manual (2008). I think you're safe to try letting it run. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
Thanks for the help Jiblet.

When I first attempted to program the keys, they were sitting on my lap, so I guess they were too close to the ignition. I attempted to program them again yesterday, and it worked. For anyone who does this, make sure you don't have the keys too close to the ignition. I put the keys I wasn't using on the passenger seat, and it seemed to work fine. Once again, thank you for your help Jiblet.

-Danny
Old 04-16-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default spare keys

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It takes two valid keys. Your other option is the dealer.
I have two working keys, and am still having issues.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I too was waiting for the prompts that never came....damnit.
All good now.
I wouldn't trust the key if it's not from the dealer. I was sent the wrong keys the first time and they got replaced with a new set.
Locksmith who cut the keys said he thought the keys were at fault and he was right.
Talked to another Locksmith today who claims he sees many bad keys and won't guarantee a key from anywhere but the Dealer or his own keys.

Last edited by sbdrumr; 11-18-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Programming spare keys