Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Proper shifting into 4wd

Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Proper shifting into 4wd

I just got my 08 Wrangler X RHD Auto tranny. This is the 1st 4x4 ive owned and wanted to know the proper way this Jeep should be feeling when shifted into 4hi and 4low.

Some say I should have FWD motion to get into it. I took it to a Jeep dealership to have the drive train, suspension, and electrical inspected as it is a used but new to me vehicle w/o any warranty.

I got a brake check, test drive, and fluid check for 100 bucks. They didn't even throw it into 4wd on the road test!?

So heres what i know:

It shifts into 4hi while in drive ok and goes back to 2hi no problem. 4lo is hard to get to time to time... In 4hi/lo when turning slightly the wheels squeel and skip a bit but idont turn to much cause it locks up.

Am i even driving this thing properly? I dont want to break it being stupid.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I know you were testing, but you really shouldn't put it in 4 hi or low on dry pavement. In 4wd steering will feel different and especially when going slow with the wheel turned near lock...ie. Pulling into a parking spot type situation. You should be able to engage 4 low from park, but you really should not try to drive too fast in 4 low. You have neutral between hi and low so be sure to continue to pull the t-case knob all the way to the back to engage 4 low.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can shift into 4-hi on the fly which means that you can shift into 4-hi while in drive at speeds up to but not exceeding 60mph. As others have stated you really should not used 4wd on dry pavement but if you are going straight it is not a problem. Actually not necessarily dry pavement but basically if the road conditions are normal don't use it. If you are in snow, sand, mud, dirt or any condition that could cause you to break traction or have wheel slip you can use it. At low speeds while turning you will feel a jerking in the wheels caused by the shafts binding. If you were in mud or snow at low speeds you will probably not feel this.

Shifting into 4-lo (auto trans I'm not sure about manual) put trans in drive accelerate or idle to slow crawl of 2-5mph while in motion put trans in neutral the shift t-case all the way down to 4-lo. Then put the trans back in drive. As others have stated do not exceed 20-30mph in 4-lo. Good luck and congrats on your new mail truck lol.

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
I just got my 08 Wrangler X RHD Auto tranny. This is the 1st 4x4 ive owned and wanted to know the proper way this Jeep should be feeling when shifted into 4hi and 4low.

Some say I should have FWD motion to get into it. I took it to a Jeep dealership to have the drive train, suspension, and electrical inspected as it is a used but new to me vehicle w/o any warranty.

I got a brake check, test drive, and fluid check for 100 bucks. They didn't even throw it into 4wd on the road test!?

So heres what i know:

It shifts into 4hi while in drive ok and goes back to 2hi no problem. 4lo is hard to get to time to time... In 4hi/lo when turning slightly the wheels squeel and skip a bit but idont turn to much cause it locks up.

Am i even driving this thing properly? I dont want to break it being stupid.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Orangeav
Well, I know you were testing, but you really shouldn't put it in 4 hi or low on dry pavement. In 4wd steering will feel different and especially when going slow with the wheel turned near lock...ie. Pulling into a parking spot type situation. You should be able to engage 4 low from park, but you really should not try to drive too fast in 4 low. You have neutral between hi and low so be sure to continue to pull the t-case knob all the way to the back to engage 4 low.
Thanks for the advice, my noob self appreciates it!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by trick50
You can shift into 4-hi on the fly which means that you can shift into 4-hi while in drive at speeds up to but not exceeding 60mph. As others have stated you really should not used 4wd on dry pavement but if you are going straight it is not a problem. Actually not necessarily dry pavement but basically if the road conditions are normal don't use it. If you are in snow, sand, mud, dirt or any condition that could cause you to break traction or have wheel slip you can use it. At low speeds while turning you will feel a jerking in the wheels caused by the shafts binding. If you were in mud or snow at low speeds you will probably not feel this.

Shifting into 4-lo (auto trans I'm not sure about manual) put trans in drive accelerate or idle to slow crawl of 2-5mph while in motion put trans in neutral the shift t-case all the way down to 4-lo. Then put the trans back in drive. As others have stated do not exceed 20-30mph in 4-lo. Good luck and congrats on your new mail truck lol.
Right on right on! Thank you too for shedding some light on this for me. My Mail Jeep and I truly appreciate your sound input!

Quick Reply: Proper shifting into 4wd