Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Protect your EVAP! Learn from my mistake.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protect your EVAP! Learn from my mistake.

So I know that this horse has been beaten to death, and then beaten some more.... but PROTECT YOUR EVAP CANNISTER!

(Sorry for this being long-winded.. but if your JK is still stock and you're on the fence about evap protection, I know it would be worth your while to continue reading).

I have probably read EVERY post on relocating or skidding your evap cannister, but I figured I wasn't doin any wheeling extreme enough to really worry about it this early in my JKs life. I bought my JK Rubicon new off the lot in March this year, and took it to the trails the next day. Since then I have taken her offroad quite a bit, accumulating probably 20% of my 11,000 kms in the dirt, dust, mud, and on the rocks. The type of wheelin I do is not extreme by any means, but I wouldn't classify it as mild either.. (my stock skid plates can attest to that, but my rock rails haven't seen any action except for a few fallen logs or stumps and the occasional drag over some sand/brush).

Anyway.. the point of the story: I went out wheelin this weekend for two days in a row. We did some really steep hill climbs, explored a load of trails, and crawled a few rocks that I wouldn't classify as huge.. and I remember dragging my frame once or twice. Today I went to go clean some of the dust from inside my Jeep and my computer tripped a code. I went to the local dealer to have her looked at (figured it'd be a warranty issue) but couldn't get in until tomorrow. I came home, used Project JKs self diagnostic page (THANKS FOR THAT!!!!) and found the code: P0440 - general evap system failure. I crawled under my JK and low-and-behold there is a giant crack in the FRONT of my evap cannister! The FRONT! I called the dealership back and ordered the new evap cannister for $81 CDN. Who knows how much the stealership will charge to install it.. but I don't think it'll be covered under warranty. (It's pretty obvious it was done offroad). You can get a skid for around $100 US. (NOTE: I have been lookin into skid plates for that damn evap cannister since I bought the JK, now that I know how easy it is to break it without realizing it, I have narrowed my selection to the few skids which protect the front of the cannister as well as the bottom.. i.e. the poison spyder evap skid)

So that being said... either relocate or skid your evap cannister. I don't care which one you do, I haven't even decided which one I am going to do.. but listen to everyone on this forum and do it.

There.. now you can't say I didn't warn ya.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks dude! I know this EVAP skid is on my list to order from Stan at Northridge.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is so true they are in such a bad spot. I have a Woods reloc kit but I havent had time to install it. I was retorqueing my suspension and saw that I have drag marks on my evap. people never think it will get hit until it does.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for the reminder.

I'll be ordering a skid from Poison Spyder this week
Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

I relocated mine three years ago above the rear axle and have never hit it!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just relocated mine. Was not that hard and gives the peace of mind.

Last edited by jinx667; 08-03-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reminder. Ill put this on my to do list
Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I skidded mine before I hit it. And well, I've never hit the skid! The poison spyder gets it 3/4" higher than stock, not a scratch on it!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Yup I installed my poison spyder skid before the Whipsaw trail I just went on. That skid is worth its weight in gold. It's one solid piece of skid!

Jebus on top of recommending the above skid I'd just order a new canister and install it yourself. If you add the sweet poison spyder skid you have to remove the evap canister anyway. It's really easy and not worth paying anyone to install.

And FYI for you and Triple Jeep since your Canadian. The skid isn't listed on Stan's (Northridge4x4.ca) site but it is on David's (Northridge4x4.com). So Stan can get it for you. I got mine for $120 from a different vendor before I figured that out.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

My damn ADD always gets in the way of me ordering the Evap Skid.

Quick Reply: Protect your EVAP! Learn from my mistake.