Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Putting A/C in a Non-A/C JK

Old 06-06-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting A/C in a Non-A/C JK

Has anyone ever tried putting all the A/C components in a JK that doesn't have A/C to make it look factory? My 18y/o know it all self decided to buy a jeep without A/C because I liked the color of the jeep. Now life sucks on hot rainy days. I've searched it in google with no results. Hoping someone in here can give me some insight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo837.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	672297  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You will find it's a lot of work if you find a donor JK. It will be a lot of work and very expensive if you go with new parts. I recall several people considering installing A/C, but have heard of no one actually doing it.

In the meantime, Home Depot has everything you need to install A/C in almost any vehicle.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Reminds me of my sister, who when back in 1990, at the age of 20, decided to go buy a brand new YJ.....the cheapest one on the lot. It was black, 4-banger with manual tranny, soft top, no radio, and no air condition. We live in Texas! "oh, I don't think I need a/c" LOL. Also, she had no clue how to drive a 5-speed. I don't know how the dealer let her take it off the lot overnight for a "test drive". I came home from school, jeep was in the drive, and she told me I needed to go teach her how to drive a 5-speed. LOL. I think she paid ~$9500 for that jeep brand new. Damn things still practically sell for that 26 years later
Old 06-06-2017, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch. I didn't know they made JKs without AC. You might as well just hang some big chunks of ice in front of your air vents.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, you have to special order it that way. It isn't bad when driving, but when you stop, and it's 95 degrees out, it reminds you of how nice it is to have A/C!
Old 06-06-2017, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You will find it's a lot of work if you find a donor JK. It will be a lot of work and very expensive if you go with new parts. I recall several people considering installing A/C, but have heard of no one actually doing it.

In the meantime, Home Depot has everything you need to install A/C in almost any vehicle.

I did not find a complete donor jk, but found close. A friend of mine has all the major components, including the dash controls for $300. So I'm thinking I'm off to a good start. My next worry is wiring. What if the harness used in a Non-A/C JK doesn't have the connectors necessary for the A/C components? I'm no genius with wiring, but I can make due. After I figure out my wiring question, I should be able to make my decision on if it is worth it or not. I am off until the end of the month, I have plenty of time to do the swap, if I decide to do it.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001

Reminds me of my sister, who when back in 1990, at the age of 20, decided to go buy a brand new YJ.....the cheapest one on the lot. It was black, 4-banger with manual tranny, soft top, no radio, and no air condition. We live in Texas! "oh, I don't think I need a/c" LOL. Also, she had no clue how to drive a 5-speed. I don't know how the dealer let her take it off the lot overnight for a "test drive". I came home from school, jeep was in the drive, and she told me I needed to go teach her how to drive a 5-speed. LOL. I think she paid ~$9500 for that jeep brand new. Damn things still practically sell for that 26 years later
I was 19 when I drove mine off the lot and said the same thing haha! I regret every second of it now.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this jacket with some ice packs stuffed in the main sleeve?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by warpeg
Maybe this jacket with some ice packs stuffed in the main sleeve?
lol that'd be cool, but Now that I'm pretty sure I am going to do something no one has tried and succeeded with, or atleast very few people, I want to do it. I have found a person with a jeep they are parting out, locally. And they are cutting a huge deal on all the parts for me. So now it's all about the execution!
Old 06-07-2017, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch1196
lol that'd be cool, but Now that I'm pretty sure I am going to do something no one has tried and succeeded with, or atleast very few people, I want to do it. I have found a person with a jeep they are parting out, locally. And they are cutting a huge deal on all the parts for me. So now it's all about the execution!
Someone has to lay the path for all others to follow! Good luck with the job Subscribed to see the outcome.

Quick Reply: Putting A/C in a Non-A/C JK