Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick question for a jeep newbie

Old 12-03-2006, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question for a jeep newbie

So like I said, I'm new to the jeep way of life (first SUV I've owned), anyway...I got a 2DR Rescue Green X model. I bought the only one on the lot so it doesn't have the 4.10 gearing at least I don't remember seeing it on the window sticker. Anyway here's the dilema, now that I've bought the jeep I'm broke, but I want to do some changes without loosing my warranty. Here's what I'm purposing let me know if it will look ok, as I'm not into the 4 wheeling yet but it will see some trips out to the mountains as I live in VT (its also my daily driver so I can't risk the damage that I would probably do)...anyway

I like the look of black steel wheels, but at this point cannot afford a lift, but I do not like the way the cast aluminum rim and tire upgrade. I'm thinking of putting the procomp 16x8 steel rims with tires that will keep the same diameter as the 245/75R16's so that I have no problems with rum or anything else. I believe the tires would be BFG A/T 265/70R16 but I may be wrong. Would this help with the look (as people say the tires look too small and tucked in) then later when money and if I get the guts to do the work and void that part of the warrenty I could lift the jeep and get new tires.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

As far as your gearing goes, if you have an automatic trans you have the 4.10 gears. The aftermarket wheels will have less backspace than the stock rims, combine that with the slightly wider tires you mentioned, your tires/wheels will be farther out from the wheelwell. There is plenty of threads here @ JK-forum with pictures of aftermarket wheels and tires without a lift.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, so I went and got my sticker, I do have the 3.21 Axle ratio with the 6-sp (I know buyers remorse now that I know). Anyway, I know there are lots of pictures of no lift jeeps, but from what I can tell they are all running larger tires. My dealers service department keeps telling me that I can't run any larger tires (if I remember right they keep telling me the tires would pin under any corrective driving), but I see them on the boards I'm not sure which info is correct. Again, I being new to jeeps I'm trying to gather all the info I can. The last thing I want to do is make a vehicle that is not safe for the road in anyways. And yes I have been looking on the boards and checking pictures, I just had not seen anyone asking about keeping the same set up. all I read is how big can I go.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry if this a post else where that would help, I am learning all this stuff, and I guess my dealer is giving me bad information on tires and rims. Like I said they have told me I can't run anything but stock without a lift, but I'm guessing from what I've seen they are wrong. If anyone in VT has advice on a good shop to go talk to I'm looking for some recommendations
Old 12-03-2006, 06:50 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey karma0, welcome to JK-Forum and to the wonderful world of Jeeps!!

Regarding your questions, the JK Rubicons come with BFG 255/75R17 which is essentially a 32" tire. A 265 is just a bit bigger and while it might be tight, I have seen guys running them. Depending on what the tire make is, some fit without any rubbing. So, your dealer is partly right in that Jeep does not recommend anything larger but that sure as hell doesn't stop the rest of us from doing at least that much or more
Old 12-03-2006, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help, I guess until I can get the lift I will be sticking with something as close to stock with a rim with more offset to give the wider stance I want. Oh, yea I read that about the Rubi but I figured the suspension differences would cause my problems. Need to find a shop to trust.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:02 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by karma0
Thanks for the help, I guess until I can get the lift I will be sticking with something as close to stock with a rim with more offset to give the wider stance I want. Oh, yea I read that about the Rubi but I figured the suspension differences would cause my problems. Need to find a shop to trust.
Actually, what you want in your wheels is less "back spacing" and not more offset. Also, you might want to check with your local laws to see if you will have any problems with your tires sticking out of the fenders. I know in a lot of east coast states this is a big no no.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for correcting me on the terms. I will check into the laws also, if not I'll probably be heading back west here pretty soon also
Old 12-03-2006, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Smile

Karma0, Welcome to JK forum. Your Jeep adventure is just begining. As Wayoflife said check your Local Laws prior to upgrading your Jeep. Also as a new Jeeper look into any Jeep or 4x4 clubs in your area or state. Papabear

Quick Reply: Quick question for a jeep newbie