Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator leak

Old 02-26-2019, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator leak

Radiator leaking from the infamous top of driver side. Searched for and read numerous post about this but some of the threads are getting old. Looking for suggestions on the good, the bad and the ugly for a replacement (preferably from Amazon).
Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Go Mopar and enjoy it. I replaced mine after many years of use with a Mopar and it's back to service. No need to go with a crazy expensive one (all aluminum) or the cheapest Amazon special.

Just check the radiator you receive before installing it. I bought mine from RockAuto (warranty purposes) and they sent one that was damaged in transit though the box showed no damage. I ran it for a week before finding out the neck was cracked. They sent another one without issues.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Go Mopar and enjoy it. I replaced mine after many years of use with a Mopar and it's back to service. No need to go with a crazy expensive one (all aluminum) or the cheapest Amazon special.

Just check the radiator you receive before installing it. I bought mine from RockAuto (warranty purposes) and they sent one that was damaged in transit though the box showed no damage. I ran it for a week before finding out the neck was cracked. They sent another one without issues.
Good deal the Mopar is not as pricey as expected. Hopefully by now the leak issue has been resolved?
Old 02-26-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It was resolved. The original leak was at a seam and the replacement was because the upper neck was cracked, I assume it was dropped somewhere during shipment even though it was wedged in between foam sheets.

Be sure to buy the proper coolant to go with the Jeep. If your 09 is the sand samthe 10 then you'll be looking for HOAT at the dealer. I have the part number somewhere and you'll want to insist on that part number. The OAT coolant is not where whawant. I don't recall it taking more than a gallon of coolant, but I always have extra on hand just in case. It's $20-25 at the dealer for the full strength.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It was resolved. The original leak was at a seam and the replacement was because the upper neck was cracked, I assume it was dropped somewhere during shipment even though it was wedged in between foam sheets.

Be sure to buy the proper coolant to go with the Jeep. If your 09 is the sand samthe 10 then you'll be looking for HOAT at the dealer. I have the part number somewhere and you'll want to insist on that part number. The OAT coolant is not where whawant. I don't recall it taking more than a gallon of coolant, but I always have extra on hand just in case. It's $20-25 at the dealer for the full strength.
Yes Sir, I have the coolant part number in owners manual. I'll also go ahead and r&r thermostat.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DaButcher
Yes Sir, I have the coolant part number in owners manual. I'll also go ahead and r&r thermostat.
Just in case....I get the unmixed. Distilled water near me to mix it myself is 50 to 75 cents per gallon.

Unmixed HOAT
P/N:68048953AB

Mixed HOAT
P/N:68051212AB
The following users liked this post:
DaButcher (02-26-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I agree with both above. Go Mopar and dilute the coolant yourself. I bought a cheap OSC radiator. I used OSC in my wife's Armada and have been happy, but I've always questioned the OSC in my JK. I swear it runs a little hotter now than it did before, but I don't have the numbers to back it up as I didn't pay as close attention prior to my old one failing in the same spot yours did.
The following users liked this post:
DaButcher (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Yup, go mopar, through rock auto.

There really aren't any good all aluminum aftermarket ones out there that aren't 3-4 times the price.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Did the mopar off of rock auto also. Got the coolant from them and did the mix myself. Also purchased an Airlift from amazon because I was doing my girls 2004 WJ at the same time.

Quick Reply: Radiator leak