Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator shot, which one to replace with?

Old 02-23-2018, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I decided on the Spectra Rad, it should arrive Monday. I also got a new radiator cap and I will also install a new thermostat as well. Not going to short cut it.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Has anyone tried this CSF, all aluminum radiator?
https://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_6218_07.htm

Also, it does look like the 3.6L, uses the same radiator as the 3.8L
https://www.quadratec.com/products/51212_0000_07.htm

I wonder if that has anything to do with the 2012+ with the 3.6L engine seeming to have more lower mileage OEM radiator failures?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My factory had over 100,000 before replacing with a CSF. Only had it for less than 30,000 and found a leak the the other day. I say skip them.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by catahoula
My factory had over 100,000 before replacing with a CSF. Only had it for less than 30,000 and found a leak the the other day. I say skip them.
Thanks!!! Just want to make sure, since it looks like CSF makes multiple replacement options. Was it one of the aluminum tank ones? And which aluminum tank one if it was?

CSF OEM replacement
https://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_6217_07.htm

and I have no idea what the differences are between these 2 aluminum CSF replacements, aside one costs much more than the other???

$482 CSF Aluminum
https://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_6224_07.htm

$315 CSF Aluminum

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-26-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Well I swapped out the radiator yesterday and it took me some time. Approx. 5.5 to 6 hrs I'd say. I was being careful with the new one and did as someone suggested and started the screws in every hole so the threads would already be there. I'd probably have paid to have it done looking back on it now, man it was rough on an ole man like me. LOL
Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

That's about how long it took me when I did mine. I'm definitely no speed demon, when it comes to working on my JK. I typically multiply times 4 of what someone states the install time should take. However, I do tend to take a lot of breaks and I work on some side jobs when I have things taken apart. I always look at taking parts off, as an opportunity which opens up some space to clean up things that are typically hard to get at. So my front axle, upper control arms and frame rails got a nice new layer of rust reformer and fresh paint on them when I had the radiator and fan assembly pulled out.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
That's about how long it took me when I did mine. I'm definitely no speed demon, when it comes to working on my JK. I typically multiply times 4 of what someone states the install time should take. However, I do tend to take a lot of breaks and I work on some side jobs when I have things taken apart. I always look at taking parts off, as an opportunity which opens up some space to clean up things that are typically hard to get at. So my front axle, upper control arms and frame rails got a nice new layer of rust reformer and fresh paint on them when I had the radiator and fan assembly pulled out.
Oh yea, I've painted all the underneath from front to the rear, actually looks pretty good. I'll get it started up this evening and top the radiator off with the most expensive antifreeze known to man LOL and take it out for a spin.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks!!! Just want to make sure, since it looks like CSF makes multiple replacement options. Was it one of the aluminum tank ones? And which aluminum tank one if it was?

CSF OEM replacement
https://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_6217_07.htm

and I have no idea what the differences are between these 2 aluminum CSF replacements, aside one costs much more than the other???

$482 CSF Aluminum
https://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_6224_07.htm

$315 CSF Aluminum
Sorry just saw this. It was the fist one. I called Quadratec and they are sending a new one out free of charge. I asked if this was an issue and they said no. I did see a review of another customer having a leak in theirs. I expected it to last longer and now I have to spend a good part of my day off replacing it. Still blows! Especially, when you check labor prices to have it done...twice! I guess my labor is free.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by catahoula
Sorry just saw this. It was the fist one. I called Quadratec and they are sending a new one out free of charge. I asked if this was an issue and they said no. I did see a review of another customer having a leak in theirs. I expected it to last longer and now I have to spend a good part of my day off replacing it. Still blows! Especially, when you check labor prices to have it done...twice! I guess my labor is free.
Thanks! That would be very annoying having to do the job twice or more. Reminds me of some of the Mishimoto discussions where they say, "Sorry for the problem, we'll be happy to take care of the problem with our life-time warranty, just send it in". They tend to describe it like taking radiators on/off are like replacing a valve stem cap, and you can still use your ride while all that exchanging is taking place and you have nothing better to do than to be swapping radiators in/out, and coolant is free.

I don't know what the challenges are of manufacturing a radiator, or developing a test to ensure they're up to snuff before leaving the factory but it sure seems like no one has it quite figured out for our JKs.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-05-2018 at 05:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
catahoula (03-05-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
It sure seems like the newer radiators aren't quite as good as the older ones. You guys with later models sure report getting some really good life out of your factory rads. I'd seen so many newer ones failing really early, seems mainly like '14-'15s I've seen going with under 50k miles which seems redonk....maybe they just had a bad batch during that time period?? I constantly suspect my '13 with 72k miles, but can't find a leak. I've replaced thermostat/housing, and get the typical smell and loss of coolant in the res tank over time.

I just don't think anyone makes a great aftermarket rad. When it comes time, I'll probably just go with another factory unit for lack of a better option.
Well, all this time catching a whiffs of coolant and never finding a leak....pressure testing several times and never finding anything....I was under it today installing some rock lights and all be damned if the bottom driver's side corner didn't have a nice pink coating of dried old coolant. Son of a bitch. Guess it's finally gonna get replaced now that the dirty lil secret has indeed popped it's head enough to show that much.

$300+ radiators aren't in my budget at the moment, so I guess it's OEM or OEM knock off. Almost tempted to try to the Spectra to save $90. Steering clear of the even cheaper CSL.

Quick Reply: Radiator shot, which one to replace with?