Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ran out of coolant. No apparent damage. What should I check?

Old 01-29-2019, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ran out of coolant. No apparent damage. What should I check?

My radiator had a leak and I ended up running it pretty much empty (a couple of times since Ive been trying to fill it and then drive to work for a few days...). The couple of times it got really low the temp gauge never got above around the 3/4 area and it still seems to drive fine if I fill it up before hand. Ive already found the leak and have a radiator on order but since it potentially nearly overheated a couple of times should I replace anything else? Isnt the trans cooler (mines an auto) tied in to the radiator? Should I replace that fluid?

Luckily Ive got a ride the next few days so I wont be driving it until the radiator is replaced but Im concerned that I may have already done some damage.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

What engine do you have?
When you ran it to its lowest level, how much coolant did it take to fill it?
The 3.6L engine can reach the 3/4 gauge mark often with no damage. But, with low water, can the gauge be trusted?
The 3.8L engine doesn't see the 3/4 gauge mark normally.
About all you can do is fix the leak, then see how it runs from there.

Also, the trans cooler is not coupled with the engine radiator in either of the JK engines, (3.8L and 3.6L).
Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you're breaking the cooling system down, go ahead and replace the thermostat (on the 3.6L the housing and thermostat are 1-piece, not sure about the 3.8L) as it's only another ~$25, and if you're anything like me, you'll replace the radiator and have the thermostat fail 5k miles later

Make sure you use the proper coolant to refill....depending on if you need OAT or HOAT. It's helpful to have a few more details in your profile.....at least the year, transmission, and 2dr or 4dr.

Quick Reply: Ran out of coolant. No apparent damage. What should I check?