Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

random start issues

Old 02-14-2018, 11:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Yes -- for safety sake, make absolutely sure nothing positive is touched.

Edit: When trying this, another thing to be careful of is the jump cable coming off and hitting something like the serpentine belt as the engine starts. Depending on the size of the jumper's clamps, going from the top (near the radiator hose) to the lower alternator mounting point may work best. Forgive any unnecessary safety emphasis...
no problem
Old 02-15-2018, 02:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kampoyj
Thank you i ll give it a try tonight as long as the wife can return it home from work :-)
Otherwise it ll have to be tested in her work garage to bring it home

Let s hope it is that simple- in terms of testing out the Parking position can someone describe the logical function of how it works so i get an idea of what to test there? is there an auto tranny sensor that gives the OK to crank over similar to how the TJs used to have an engine position sensor or a clutch sensor to crank the engine over?
The contacts (in the Transmission Range Sensor) that tell the computer the position of the shift lever are inside the transmission, awash in fluid. Moving the lever further into park or to neutral will establish new continuity, if loss of continuity was the problem.
Adding a large ground wire between the battery negative terminal and the alternator bracket may prevent loss of continuity in the position contacts.
This seems to work when JKs with automatic transmissions have the "click, no start" issue.
Install the additional ground wire even if the jumper test doesn't work.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check positive and negative terminal clamps. I had one start rotting off and needed replaced. Have me starting issues, charged the battery and she was still not starting. Likely terminal issue? Cheap fix it that is the issue as well.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Yes -- for safety sake, make absolutely sure nothing positive is touched.

Edit: When trying this, another thing to be careful of is the jump cable coming off and hitting something like the serpentine belt as the engine starts. Depending on the size of the jumper's clamps, going from the top (near the radiator hose) to the lower alternator mounting point may work best. Forgive any unnecessary safety emphasis...
ok just an update guys i found the culprit seems to be when i get non start i just push a tiny bit the ahift in p and it fires straight up so for me this works around thebissue for now
i m looking to find the cable to put onto the alt bracket still but in dubai they re not as easy as autozone so i lk order it online
thx for everyones tips it has helped a lot
Old 02-17-2018, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has been doing the same thing on and off for about 4 years. Last time was about 1 year ago. it took 10 trys before it started and no issues since. After the first time the dealer checked it out but was unable to repeat the problem.

Last edited by LVJimmy; 07-09-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Once again. Any no start issues can be linked to the WCM and/or Range sensor however adding the ground solved it for me. Mine is an auto 08. Did it for years. If you are reading this and own an 07 to 09 I would recommend $8 and 20 min.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by EHarris
Once again. Any no start issues can be linked to the WCM and/or Range sensor however adding the ground solved it for me. Mine is an auto 08. Did it for years. If you are reading this and own an 07 to 09 I would recommend $8 and 20 min.
Adding the ground wire seems to prevent the loss of continuity at the range sensor contacts.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

I have an '09Unlimited X with an automatic transmission. I have also experienced this problem and each occurrence has had it's own set of cicurmstances. No common factors. If I understand the recommended fix is to run an addtional ground from the negative battery post. Any particular reason the alternator bracket is the recommend?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by The Old Gray Dog
Any particular reason the alternator bracket is the recommend?
It's a convenient location to add a direct ground between the battery and the engine.
The following users liked this post:
The Old Gray Dog (02-19-2018)

Quick Reply: random start issues