Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rattling throwout bearing?

Old 03-23-2016, 12:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling throwout bearing?

Hey so I've got a 2013 Jeep Wrangler sport with 43000 miles on it so far. For maybe the past 3000 miles my throwout bearing has started rattling after about 20 minutes of the engine running but it will only rattle when the clutch pedal is released. If I put any amount of pressure on the clutch it stops rattling and when I press the clutch it will squeak all the way to floor. The squeaking is coming from my transmission area and not the clutch pedal. Just got done replacing and bleeding a new slave cylinder to see if I had a bad one and even though it's not as bad it's still very noticeable. If anyone has the same issue or any insight to this problem please let me know. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lohops
Hey so I've got a 2013 Jeep Wrangler sport with 43000 miles on it so far. For maybe the past 3000 miles my throwout bearing has started rattling after about 20 minutes of the engine running but it will only rattle when the clutch pedal is released. If I put any amount of pressure on the clutch it stops rattling and when I press the clutch it will squeak all the way to floor. The squeaking is coming from my transmission area and not the clutch pedal. Just got done replacing and bleeding a new slave cylinder to see if I had a bad one and even though it's not as bad it's still very noticeable. If anyone has the same issue or any insight to this problem please let me know. Thank you!
Had the same problem about six months back.

Ended up dropping the clutch and replacing all components, good to go for about 12000 miles now.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Have the same issue on mine started at 5,000 miles, none of the dealers wanted to touch it, said it was within spec. Have 79,000 miles now. Same noise, no issue. Drives normal.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 03-23-2016, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same noise with mine, however it is not every time i turn it on. I cannot find a pattern at all. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal and within specs. The only time it never makes noise is in the winter below about 40 degF.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an '09 Wrangler X (sold with 22k miles), and now we have a 2012 Sport (26k) and a 2013 Rubicon (55k).

All 3 have had very noisy throwout bearings and started rattling by about 20k (all owned since new). Same symptoms that you describe. It doesn't seem to affect operation, it's just embarrassingly loud. I'll be sure to try to replace them with heavier duty units when the clutches need replacing.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Well that's good to hear that one I'm not the only one with the issue and two it's not something that's gonna break soon. Think eventually I'll go through and just get a better throwout bearing as well cause the noise is really embarrassing for a vehicle that's 3 years old
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others mentioned, once temps started dropping here in fall mine got really bad.

Couldn't take it anymore, embarrassing and loud it sounded ridiculous but still lasted past 90k.

Quick Reply: Rattling throwout bearing?