JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Ready for the first mod! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/ready-first-mod-269020/)

White Ghost 03-23-2013 06:24 PM

Ready for the first mod!

Ok guys I've finally got permission from the wife to spend around $1k on mods for our 2012 jkus. So what should I do? Should I do a one big mod like bumpers or wheels or should I do a few cheaper ones like HID headlights and a 2" lift and evo complete skid system. I need help to many decision.

The Riz 03-23-2013 06:46 PM

I am in the same boat. Have to start with a lift, then tires and wheeis.

Che 03-23-2013 06:52 PM

1k will not take you too far ....... Unfortunately

Wrangeler X 03-23-2013 07:20 PM

I sequenced by mods based on what I wanted to with my jeep!

R u looking to wheel it? If so first make sure you have tow points the tires, then skids, the a winch. Then lift and so on.

shabbernigdo 03-23-2013 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by White Ghost (Post 3487418)
Ok guys I've finally got permission from the wife to spend around $1k on mods for our 2012 jkus. So what should I do? Should I do a one big mod like bumpers or wheels or should I do a few cheaper ones like HID headlights and a 2" lift and evo complete skid system. I need help to many decision.

Personally i went to replace what i thought was the weak points first. The stock lug nuts. sounds small but having those dam caps fall off and having to beat a socket on to them just to get the fkrs off is extremly irritating so i changed them out. Fairly cheap super easy insurance i wont have to deal with that crap in the future. Then i went to the head lights. They suck. First i went to some sylvania silverstar H6024 bulbs and the delta pig tails to hook them up. Not much more light but a much better pattern and its all plug and play. Kept that till i could get my Trucklights and SHS harness. Then i went after the bumpers. The stock jeep playschool plastic bumpers dont really instill much cofindence that they will protect my jeep in case of any kind of accident so i went to somthing much more solid Smitty XRC stubby and since the stock fogs went with the bumper i had to replace those with some Rigid D2's ( the stock fogs are pretty lame ).

So basicly find what you dont like and change that first imo.

White Ghost 03-24-2013 05:36 AM

Thanks I know a 1k want do much but it's a start that's why I'm trying to surcharge for options. But hey it's a start so I'm happy. It's tough decision for sure I would love to have better lighting and a small lift but then again I agree about the bumper it's so pathetic, they aren't made like my parents old 85' cj7

Jonathan_JK 03-24-2013 05:43 AM

I did Front bumper, winch ,hitch,lift,wheels,tires. 5k later I still need more..

Jonathan_JK 03-24-2013 05:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what stage 1 complete looks like

White Ghost 03-24-2013 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK (Post 3487843)
Here is what stage 1 complete looks like

Looks good I hope to get there one day

taylorthedude 03-24-2013 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
make sure to look on CL and the for sale section, sometimes you can find really good deals and get more stuff then you think. I found a guy on CL that was having his jeep takin by the insurance company and he only had a day to sell the aftermarket parts that were on it. I got bushwacker flats, wheels, 35" km2s, AEV snorkle, rear bumper with tire carrier, gas cover, and some other small parts all for 1,250!!! which i believe to be a pretty good deal! so just keep your eyes open. Goodluck with your build! heres the donater jeep

White Ghost 03-24-2013 06:37 AM

Thanks I have been definitely doing that as well within a 4hr drive not much for sale in my area but still looking.

taylorthedude 03-24-2013 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by White Ghost (Post 3487418)

do you plan to wheel it or just keep her on the street? if so what would be your main terrain type?

White Ghost 03-24-2013 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by taylorthedude (Post 3487919)

do you plan to wheel it or just keep her on the street? if so what would be your main terrain type?

We plan on wheeling it on the weekends a few times a year but a lot of pavement use. Our terrain is rocky in Arkansas and mostly mud here in Louisiana where I'm at

taylorthedude 03-24-2013 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by White Ghost (Post 3487936)

We plan on wheeling it on the weekends a few times a year but a lot of pavement use. Our terrain is rocky in Arkansas and mostly mud here in Louisiana where I'm at

well a good way to build your jeep is to build it for your terrain. you say mostly mud, so i recommend protecting your jeep against the elements in those conditions. 1k isnt much but its enough to protect yourself and help out. generally with mud/water its ideal to relocate all of you breathers and get a snorkel. also making your jeep self reliable so that if you get stuck you can get unstuck, so a winch is an awesome investment as well as some recovery gear like straps and D-rings.

White Ghost 03-24-2013 07:27 AM

That's why I'm partially leaning towards maybe a bumper/winch. If I go that direction what's the cheapest but best quality full width?

taylorthedude 03-24-2013 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by White Ghost (Post 3487995)
That's why I'm partially leaning towards maybe a bumper/winch. If I go that direction what's the cheapest but best quality full width?

i built my own front bumper, but when it comes to buying one, it depends on what you want it to look like also and its usefulness. make sure it has tow points, compatible with a winch, and having cutouts for the factory fogs are a plus or tabs for extra lights.

White Ghost 03-24-2013 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by taylorthedude (Post 3488012)

i built my own front bumper, but when it comes to buying one, it depends on what you want it to look like also and its usefulness. make sure it has tow points, compatible with a winch, and having cutouts for the factory fogs are a plus or tabs for extra lights.

I'm not against building my own either any close ups of yours so I could get an idea?

taylorthedude 03-24-2013 07:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by White Ghost (Post 3488017)

I'm not against building my own either any close ups of yours so I could get an idea?

i started off with just building a plain stubby bumper with nothing on it bc i wasnt exactly sure what i wanted. then over time I added pieces here and there until i got to a point that I was happy with! first it was plain, then added a winch, stinger, and lights. then i needed some kind of tow point but didnt like any other hook setups so i cut out my own out of 1" steel that I am extremely happy with! hope this helps

White Ghost 03-24-2013 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by taylorthedude (Post 3488041)

i started off with just building a plain stubby bumper with nothing on it bc i wasnt exactly sure what i wanted. then over time I added pieces here and there until i got to a point that I was happy with! first it was plain, then added a winch, stinger, and lights. then i needed some kind of tow point but didnt like any other hook setups so i cut out my own out of 1" steel that I am extremely happy with! hope this helps

Looks good

taylorthedude 03-24-2013 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by White Ghost (Post 3488043)

Looks good

thank you! are you good with metal fabrication?

White Ghost 03-24-2013 08:28 AM

I'm ok with it but my buddy is a awesome fabricator and has done a lot of custom jobs I'm waiting in his schedule to open up so we can work on building a custom skids to save me a lot of $$$

taylorthedude 03-24-2013 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by White Ghost (Post 3488098)
I'm ok with it but my buddy is a awesome fabricator and has done a lot of custom jobs I'm waiting in his schedule to open up so we can work on building a custom skids to save me a lot of $$$

very nice, building yourself is such an awesome route to take bc normally it will be unlike any other manufactured piece which will make your jeep stand out more and be more unique! deff post pics when you start fabbing your stuff

White Ghost 03-24-2013 08:42 AM

I def will when that time comes