Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Drive Shaft Boot

Old 09-04-2017, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Drive Shaft Boot

I got off the trail yesterday and heard a really loud clicking noise at about 20 mph. Initially I thought it was a rock somewhere until I found this. Is it safe to just remove this and drive from Breckenridge back down to Denver before replacing?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6821.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	674683
Old 09-04-2017, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it is safe.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnvilX14
Yes it is safe.
Great. Thanks for the feedback. Next question. Do I just replace that boot or pony up for an upgraded shaft? I'm running AEV 4.5 with KM2 37s.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Boot is cheaper. It ripped because it hit the corner of the EVAP guard. Teraflex has a video on how to move it.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agree boot is cheaper, but it's pricier than it should be. I have read about people who don't replace it. I've had mine replaced but somehow managed to get it covered under warranty.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you’re going to take the effort to replace the boot, definitely slide the evap skid over just a bit (as mentioned with Teraflex vid) or relocate that evap all together with one of the kits…..otherwise it’s just going to happen again. That said, the boot is not THAT big a deal. It is there to protect the splines since they are not greaseable on the factory shaft. What will happen over an extended period of time is general exposure to the elements. This really isn’t a big deal, BUT, if you ever have to remove that DS (to regear for example), it will need to compress to get it off the pinion flange. Once compressed, it might not want to easily extended again to remount. That was the death or mine. (note - mine lasted 3.5 years in that state and only died due to what I described above. I believe it would have lasted much longer had I not regeared and had to remove it).

Another option is if you replace the boot, you can flip the DS around which moves the boot further away from the skid….but honestly, the TF route is a better way to go.

Depending on your wheelin style, you might just consider an aftermarket shaft with that lift somewhere along the line.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

My front boot ripped on a wheeling trip. It was like yours, I heard a terrible clacking sound over 20 mph. I crippled home and crawled under and saw the problem. I just cut it off and drove it for awhile with no problems. I ended up replacing it with an Adam's mainly because I had a big trip coming up and wanted to be as bulletproof as possible. The aftermarket shafts don't even have a boot over the splines, but they are greasable and the stock is not. I've read a few posts of people driving for years without the boot. I also read that you can zip tie a motorcycle inner tube in place of that boot.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MikeOK
I also read that you can zip tie a motorcycle inner tube in place of that boot.
That is actually not a terrible idea.....assuming you still address why the boot is getting ripped (the evap skid in the rear and the exhaust crossover up front).

Of course.....more often than not if you're out wheelin it....you're looking at an aftermarket shaft somewhere along the line.....sooner or later.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Appreciate all the feedback. I think I'm most likely going to upgrade.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by cmmurray77
Appreciate all the feedback. I think I'm most likely going to upgrade.
I wouldn't bother upgrading it right now. If anything, upgrade the front one. The rear will last like that for many years....it's just not a big deal. If you're going to upgrade because you have the budget and want to anyhow, then that's one thing, but don't feel like you need to replace that just because of the ripped boot.

Quick Reply: Rear Drive Shaft Boot