Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear headrest "collapse"

Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear headrest "collapse"

Hey, with a brief search- I didn't see anyone having the same problem before... If I'm reposting 1.) direct me to where this is covered 2.) please forgive me.

2007 JKU

My passenger side rear seat works as its' supposed to.... Once laid forward to the "cargo" position... the headrest collapses and lays flat- obviously no problem.

Although my driver's side rear seat will lean forward once pulling the handle... no matter what I've tried the headrest will not collapse. When first purchasing my JK this worked properly (Less than 3 months ago.) Like I said- everything else works perfectly fine, except for this?

Any help/ideas/"obvious" solutions I should've already discovered?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Check out this removal write-up.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-removal-6069/

It shows pictures of the mechanism that provides the tension that returns the headrest to the upright position. Maybe something interfering with the spring clip so that it won't compress?

At the very least you could use that write up to remove the spring clip hooks so you can get your fold-down capability back short term.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by whiskey_golf
Check out this removal write-up.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-removal-6069/

It shows pictures of the mechanism that provides the tension that returns the headrest to the upright position. Maybe something interfering with the spring clip so that it won't compress?

At the very least you could use that write up to remove the spring clip hooks so you can get your fold-down capability back short term.

Thanks, that would be perfect! BUT... In order to unclip the spring... you have to release the tension that the spring is under... to release the tension- the headrest needs to "collapse..." annnd now we're back to square one..
Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone know how to get to the mechanism?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

I'm having the same problem with my rear passenger headrest.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	387242Had exactly the same problem, found the cable (like a bike brake cable) had come out of the clips, and kept doing it every time tension was put on it. Had to put a spot of glue on it to keep it in. Works fine. Have to take seat cover off to get to it though. 20 min job to remove cover and put back.

Originally Posted by sam.ray.davis
Hey, with a brief search- I didn't see anyone having the same problem before... If I'm reposting 1.) direct me to where this is covered 2.) please forgive me.

2007 JKU

My passenger side rear seat works as its' supposed to.... Once laid forward to the "cargo" position... the headrest collapses and lays flat- obviously no problem.

Although my driver's side rear seat will lean forward once pulling the handle... no matter what I've tried the headrest will not collapse. When first purchasing my JK this worked properly (Less than 3 months ago.) Like I said- everything else works perfectly fine, except for this?

Any help/ideas/"obvious" solutions I should've already discovered?

Thanks!

Last edited by Axxis; 11-09-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed those damn headrests years ago. I hate the flip feature. Why couldn't Jeep have made them like the fronts or 2-dr rear seats that just pull straight up & out? So annoying.

Quick Reply: Rear headrest "collapse"