Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear power windows no longer work...

Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear power windows no longer work...

Hey fellas,

Front power windows work just fine. However...

Rear power windows suddenly no longer work.
They are currently in the "up" position.

The switch at the dash and the switch at the center console in the rear both do nothing.

I have disconnected and reconnected all four door connections. I have also torn apart the dash to remove the actual switch block to see if the connections were loose or "open."

I reconnected the power window switch to the harness & nothing. The fronts work just fine but the rears still inop.

I cannot locate a fuse or a switch in the fuse block. Actually, there isn't even a fuse for power windows lised on the fuse block (which seems weird). Maybe I am missing something or there is a "super secret" fuse hidden somewhere?

Help.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might be dumb, but is your "lock/unlock" button (prevents rear passengers from operating windows) in the lock position? Or is it stuck/jammed in the lock position?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep. Certainly verified that sucker in both positions quite a few times before tearing apart the dash

I'm wondering if there is a connector block somewhere along the bottom of the vehicle for the switch? It just seems so strange that the rear windows don't work at both the rear switches and the front dash switches. Something is askew....
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The power windows are protected by CB1 in the TIPM fuse box. The front windows work, so CB1 isn't the issue.

Each motor is also internally protected by a circuit breaker or PTC device. I would think it's unlikely both rear motors would quit internally at the same time.

The rear window lock-out switch can't be the issue, because the front switches for the rear don't work, either. The lock-out will only make the rear switches inoperative. (I verified this on mine.)

I think that leaves the front switch cluster in the center dash. There is either a bad connection, (which you seem to have checked), or there is a problem inside the switch cluster.

Did the rear windows quit working after some work was performed? Or did you just go the the JK one day, and they didn't work for no apparent reason?

I guess you could try the old "reboot", by disconnecting the battery negative terminal for a few minutes.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a connector under the console which transfers power to the rear windows. Remove the 4 torx bolts holding down the console, lift rear of console up and look to see if connector came undone. You can usually reach up there with one hand and snap it together if it came undone without removing the console.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The power windows are protected by CB1 in the TIPM fuse box. The front windows work, so CB1 isn't the issue.

Each motor is also internally protected by a circuit breaker or PTC device. I would think it's unlikely both rear motors would quit internally at the same time.

The rear window lock-out switch can't be the issue, because the front switches for the rear don't work, either. The lock-out will only make the rear switches inoperative. (I verified this on mine.)

I think that leaves the front switch cluster in the center dash. There is either a bad connection, (which you seem to have checked), or there is a problem inside the switch cluster.

Did the rear windows quit working after some work was performed? Or did you just go the the JK one day, and they didn't work for no apparent reason?

I guess you could try the old "reboot", by disconnecting the battery negative terminal for a few minutes.

Thanks Ron,
Good points. And, oddly enough, I did have the Jeep worked on last week. I had a new clutch installed. And as such, the transmission was removed (and shifter assembly). So, this all seems very coincidental that my rear windows would just stop working the exact same time.

I did un hook the battery for about one or two minutes. I am wondering if I need to unhook it longer than that? Hmmm.. Curious...
Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3
Thanks Ron,
Good points. And, oddly enough, I did have the Jeep worked on last week. I had a new clutch installed. And as such, the transmission was removed (and shifter assembly). So, this all seems very coincidental that my rear windows would just stop working the exact same time.

I did un hook the battery for about one or two minutes. I am wondering if I need to unhook it longer than that? Hmmm.. Curious...
If the console was removed for the transmission work, I would definitely follow up on VAGASROBBI's idea.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If the console was removed for the transmission work, I would definitely follow up on VAGASROBBI's idea.
I agree. I would assume that the dealership or whoever did your transmission work either forgot to connect something back together, connected it half-ass, or accidentally disconnected something they shouldn't have. If VAGASROBBI's idea doesn't work, I would consider asking whoever did your work to take a look at it free of charge.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

You guy nailed it. Vegasrobbi, thank you for the tech tip. That was right on.

I removed the four torq screws from the center console, lifted up the back side (tilted it forward) and yep... There it was. The plug was just laying right there. I was able to put both hands under the center console and plug it back in and bam. Done. Al better.

So, for those playing along at home, there is a plug connection for the rear power windows under the center console.

Yea!
The following users liked this post:
Urbina0052 (06-04-2022)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread, but great info. Vegasrobbi and ronjenx, great job

Quick Reply: Rear power windows no longer work...