Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear shudder/whine on acceleration

Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shudder/whine on acceleration

So I know this is a "Jeep" forum but this question has nothing to do with my Jeep, but I figured since it's mechanical, maybe I can pick your brains for some answers, and I feel much more at home on here than I do on the dodge forums. My dads 05' ram shudders with a slight grind from the rear when making tight turns (i.e. parking lot maneuvers) and it whines from the right rear side and gets louder as the speed increases. There is a obviously a problem with the rear diff/axle assembly but I'm not too sure where to start looking. Could it possibly be a bent rear axle shaft? the whine is linear and not rhythmic so I don't know if that is a possibility, I guess I can jack up the rear and let it idle and see if I have wobble, but any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance guys
Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Bearings? Brakes?

Not to familiar with dodge rear end!

Like the idea of checking for play!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking bearings too, it's probably a combination of problems. I don't have experience with dodge rears either but I figure a rear end is a rear end in terms of failure and looking for a starting point.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

May be a pinion bearing. Mine just went on my Jeep about 2 1/2 months ago. At first the whine and vibe was only under load and you couldn't hear it coasting, but then it got real clear and real loud as it got worse before I had the time to get it fixed. Would get louder and higher pitched the higher the speed. If it's not a rhythmic vibe then I wouldn't think its something bent or out of balance.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
May be a pinion bearing. Mine just went on my Jeep about 2 1/2 months ago. At first the whine and vibe was only under load and you couldn't hear it coasting, but then it got real clear and real loud as it got worse before I had the time to get it fixed. Would get louder and higher pitched the higher the speed. If it's not a rhythmic vibe then I wouldn't think its something bent or out of balance.
Hmm, I guess I'll climb under and see if the driveshaft/pinion has any play up-and-down, and side-to-side.

Quick Reply: Rear shudder/whine on acceleration