Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Vinyl Window Repair

Old 03-25-2017, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear Vinyl Window Repair

I was tired of replacing the rear vinyl window for $250+. So I order some tinted vinyl material on line and vinyl glue for $66, enough material to do 2 windows. I then took my old window and cut it out leaving ~1/2" of old window around the sides and top. The bottom was cut even with the fabric. I then took the new vinyl material and cut it to to original window size so that it would overlap the 1/2" of the original window material that I left. I played the new window out and glued it to the 1/2" of old window that I left. I am far from a perfectionist so I think much better results obtained could be better however, I was more than happy with the results. The window does have a few waves where the new window wasn't perfectly set. The new vinyl seems to have a texture to it so it isn't as clear as the original vinyl and there are a few spots that were not glued down all the way and need be reglued.
The good parts are it has been in place for 2 months without a problem. You can't tell it isn't original unless you are know what you are looking for. I can now see clearly out of my rear window again. It took an hour to do the cutting and glueing and left to dry overnight before being put back into the jeep. This summer will be the big test so I will repost after a few hot days in a few months. Overall I'm very, very happy so far.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you found a solution to an old problem
had 4 wranglers since 75
learned no to touch that rear window unless you have a soft rag and clean the dirt off with a hose before you wipe it down
Old 04-01-2017, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being Frugal AND creative leaves that much more $ for actually using the Jeep.
What Vinyl Glue did you use ? Thanks !
Old 06-03-2017, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Four Low
Being Frugal AND creative leaves that much more $ for actually using the Jeep.
What Vinyl Glue did you use ? Thanks !
HH66 from RH products
Old 06-03-2017, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Several days over 100 degrees and no problems.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wanting to do a similar project with mesh (i.e. Spiderwebshade material in place of vinyl). If I ever get off my lazy butt and do it, I'll throw up some pictures.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by warpeg
I've been wanting to do a similar project with mesh (i.e. Spiderwebshade material in place of vinyl). If I ever get off my lazy butt and do it, I'll throw up some pictures.
In Ohio you might be OK with mesh but we have tooooo many 110 degree days for that. it was 90 at 6 am this morning. Let us know how it works.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

We have had 40 days over 105 degrees so far. The only problem I have had is when my son stuffed the sleeping bags a little to forcefully into he jeep using a 4 separation between the window and the fabric. It will be an easy fix to reseal it.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

the glue finally let go and there in now about a 10" opening. Time to order more glue.

Quick Reply: Rear Vinyl Window Repair