Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Window Straps

Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Window Straps

I've seen JKs w/ the rear window rolled up. Is this what I need in order to the same?

MOPARŽ Velcro Roll Up Strap Kit
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11132_9139.htm

Thanks.

-J
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Yup,you will need the two with the snaps.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

I would personally not order the straps and just totally unzip the window instead. mine got scratched from rolling it up and now i regret it. just make sure if you do decide to roll it up that the window be 100% clean
Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys88
I would personally not order the straps and just totally unzip the window instead. mine got scratched from rolling it up and now i regret it. just make sure if you do decide to roll it up that the window be 100% clean
X2. I regret rolling up my window, too. I did it once and the scuff was EXACTLY eye-level for backing up.....
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

The problem with those elastic straps w/ the snap (the velcro ones are for folding the top back, not for the rear window) is that they stretch out over time. I had some really long laces lying around the house that I now use... I just tucked through the gap between the frame and the top, when I roll up the back window, I tie the laces around the roll like tying my shoes. Was pretty much free and it actually gets the window roll up tighter to top, which was an issue when those stock Mopar straps stretched out.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I picked up a roll of double sided velcro from Canadian Tire, its 1" wide and just cut two 10" strips (the roll is several feet long) and it wraps around the softtop frame and around the window when rolled up, much better (and way cheaper) than the elastic bands, which as said earlier, stretch over time.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anthonys88
I used to roll my rear window on my YJ. I was crazy about cleaning it before rolling it and in time I still got two stripes running the length of the window from dust and grit in the elastic. It's handy but it'll take it's toll.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

I can't believe someone or company hasn't come up wit a better option than those crappy elastic bands. They stretch out after a handful of uses. I currently use DIY velcro straps, but always grimace wondering why this is such a difficult issue.

I tend to agree too that rolling up the window will scratch it, but I go mine used and it was alsready scratched. Plus having Jeep's for years, Im just used to it. Also, I take mine offroad alot and all my windows are scratched from branches and such. Perhaps consider battle scars. I can still see, but do see better when is up or off. Up, personally is a better option for me as it rains almost daily in Florida, plus its HOT down here. My normal daily travel set up is: (on a 2dr JK) half-top flipped back (open); door windows rolled down and rear window rolled up. It takes me about 2-3 mins to pull over and get the windows back on/up in the event of heavy rain.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nvygunz
I can't believe someone or company hasn't come up wit a better option than those crappy elastic bands. They stretch out after a handful of uses. I currently use DIY velcro straps, but always grimace wondering why this is such a difficult issue.
Someone does.

American Outlaw makes some nice Rear Window Straps.

Inexpensive and replaces those saging, scratching elastic straps.

Last edited by kaptkrappy; 01-29-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take some clean, thin cheesecloth or terry cloth and roll it up on the inside of your window. Coupled with small pieces of the same cloth in between your straps and window and it'll stay looking new longer.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Straps