Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear window won't go Up, Limit Switch stuck??

Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear window won't go Up, Limit Switch stuck??

Hi all, long time no post, but finding I need some help today. My rear door window went down this morning as usual. I went to put it up when I arrived at work and it wouldn't budge.
Ran some tests this evening and determined the following are NOT causes:
Power from both window switches (front console and rear console) to quick connect harness is present.
The motor wires from the quick connect plug to the motor unit are in tact and have continuity.
Applying +12V to the removed motor in both polarities cause the motor to move in opposite directions as expected.
The window moves freely by hand with the motor removed.
The power locks work as expected.

I set the window in the Up position and still goes down, but still does not go up, so I reset it in the Up position and pulled the wire for the motor so I can't put it down for the moment. Obviously this isn't a fix, but just a band-aid.

So, My thought is there might be a limit switch that tells the circuit that the window is UP and has become stuck in the 'UP' position and denying power to the motor. Does such a protection exist in the door mechanism? Where is it? There are only 4 wires remaining besides the 2 motor wires and they all seem to go off to the door lock mechanism. I believe one is ground (black) and then presumably 2 more for the power lock actuator. Perhaps the last is tied in to my problem?

Anyone have a wire diagram of the door window circuit? Photo of the door with the guts removed?
Thanks for any help!!!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

bump. no takers?? no experiences with this??
Originally Posted by Phantasm
Hi all, long time no post, but finding I need some help today. My rear door window went down this morning as usual. I went to put it up when I arrived at work and it wouldn't budge.
Ran some tests this evening and determined the following are NOT causes:
Power from both window switches (front console and rear console) to quick connect harness is present.
The motor wires from the quick connect plug to the motor unit are in tact and have continuity.
Applying +12V to the removed motor in both polarities cause the motor to move in opposite directions as expected.
The window moves freely by hand with the motor removed.
The power locks work as expected.

I set the window in the Up position and still goes down, but still does not go up, so I reset it in the Up position and pulled the wire for the motor so I can't put it down for the moment. Obviously this isn't a fix, but just a band-aid.

So, My thought is there might be a limit switch that tells the circuit that the window is UP and has become stuck in the 'UP' position and denying power to the motor. Does such a protection exist in the door mechanism? Where is it? There are only 4 wires remaining besides the 2 motor wires and they all seem to go off to the door lock mechanism. I believe one is ground (black) and then presumably 2 more for the power lock actuator. Perhaps the last is tied in to my problem?

Anyone have a wire diagram of the door window circuit? Photo of the door with the guts removed?
Thanks for any help!!!
Old 10-22-2018, 02:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

When you check for power at the door connector with the switch in the up position, also check for ground at the other window wire.
Do this with the switch in the down position to see if you get power and ground, but in the opposite polarity.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Default resolved (some time ago)

I replaced the switch cluster on the center stack. fixed the issue.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue in reverse

Originally Posted by Phantasm
I replaced the switch cluster on the center stack. fixed the issue.
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem in reverse. My rear passenger window on my 2013 JKU won't go down. This is the same for the dash switch and the rear switch. I checked everything on it, and was able to manually move the window down, and then it would go up via the controls. I'm getting ready to take it to the dealer, and I'd like to be able to tell them to "replace the switch cluster on the center stack," but I'm not exactly sure what that means. As part of troubleshooting, I replaced the switch, but still no downward movement on the window.

Appreciate any guidance you can give.

TIA,
mom23

Quick Reply: Rear window won't go Up, Limit Switch stuck??