Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Wiper/washer/defrost not working

Old 01-14-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wiper/washer/defrost not working

Have a 07, just purchased from dealer. Has factory hard top and I believe factory wiring for hard top as the wiring goes under the drivers seat and up console. The rear defrost lite goes on when pushed and stays on. No defrost happening!! Rear wiper or washer does not work. Checked for voltage at top connection and have power when defrost is on. no voltage when wiper swith is "on" at switch on stalk. Am I correct in believing there is a ground problem? Where would the groound be located? Vehicle is and 07, 2 door, with air. Any help/thoughts appreciated. Stealer is not reliable to fix anything I have been told, and had problems with them when I had my TJ.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Did u try unplugging the the wiring to the hard top. Mine comes out every once in a wile. Try pushing it in further
Old 01-14-2012, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Not sure if this will help, but here is the wiring diagram for the MOPAR Hard Top Wiring Kit:

You can also download the instructions from Quadratec.

The kit is grounded on the body next to the fuse box.

Another option is to put a meter on the harness in the rear.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedJK2
Not sure if this will help, but here is the wiring diagram for the MOPAR Hard Top Wiring Kit:

You can also download the instructions from Quadratec.

The kit is grounded on the body next to the fuse box.

Another option is to put a meter on the harness in the rear.
Use this schemattic to check for power at the harness. Checking for power at the switch may be pointless ( CanBuss ). Defroster - element conductors on the back glass could be broken. You can check this circuit with a continuity meter accross cav1 and cav6. Washer and wiper both inop - Since the washer pump is actually under the hood, this sounds more like a TIPM problem.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. PO has made the plug at the rear(to the top) a bit of a mess, as the locking no longer works. The receptical in the top feels very loose and seems to move around quite a bit in the mounting. I have power at the end of the cable for the defrost, but it will not work. No power at the end of the cable when wiper switch is in the on position, or power to the washer pump. I have the schematics for the wiring kit, and checked at the fuse boxfor a ground at the fender. Everythings looks ok and everything else on the truck works. No error codes. I'm baffled. When I put a meter on the connection with power it shows no voltage, however it lights up a test lite
Old 01-14-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by extmc
I'm baffled. When I put a meter on the connection with power it shows no voltage, however it lights up a test lite
This sounds like CanBuss. It uses a very small current. Internal resistance of the meter may be to high to get a reading. Or the meter may have to be configured to read milliamps to see this current. The above schemattic really doesnt provid good information for testing. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Looks like cav5 should have 12 volts when the wiper motor is turned on. Cav2 should have 12 volts when the wiper is in the park position. Cav3 looks like the ground side of the motor. Not really sure how this wire can be used both as a ground and a "return signal" unless there is some type of "resistance sence" piggybacked on top of the ground. Have you taken continuity measurements accros these connections?
Old 11-22-2020, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

I bought a Hard Top to replace my soft one. I need the connector to plug into the hardtop. any chance someone knows the part # and best place to get it?
Old 12-07-2020, 03:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Pop the plug off the “button” on the rear glass. Use an ohm meter and put one lead on the button and one on the copperish trim next to it. Be careful pulling the plug off the button or it will pull off the glass. I’m betting there is no resistance and that’s why it isn’t working.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigOlDude
I bought a Hard Top to replace my soft one. I need the connector to plug into the hardtop. any chance someone knows the part # and best place to get it?
I have an extra you can have however about two inches of the passenger side rear defroster that goes to the button was cut off. It’s just two wires that snap onto the button.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper/washer/defrost not working