Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuild my transmission?

Old 06-24-2019, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Rebuild my transmission?

I wasn't sure if I should have started this thread in the "Modified JK Tech" or not but here it goes;

MYPROBLEM

Long story long.. my auto transmission sh*t the bed the other day.. I was driving along and suddenly on my dash my engine light and emergency break lights came on. I pulled over to assess the situation and for the life of me I couldn't think of what I was doing to cause this. As I started back up to start driving again, I needed to reverse into a drive to turn around and keep onward, but when I switched from Park to Reverse, it felt like I was in neutral when I gave it gas. I went back to park, then to reverse.. nothing! I put it in drive and I started to move, but it wouldn't change gears, even when I tried manual shifting. I had to have it towed to a shop where i'm currently awaiting results but I figured I'd ask. I've done lots of reading forums and online in general over the last 2 days and it always comes down to a tranny on it's death bed.

MY QUESTION

What's my best option to go with here,

1. I could potentially rebuild this transmission if it is salvageable , and the cost is right. But I know these are expensive units to repair.. upwards of thousands of dollars depending where I go.

2. Search out a wrecked JK for the right price and swap the transmission not knowing if that one has any problems.

** I'd like to note that I would like to keep my engine if possible, still only has 95,000KM and I know these are half decent engines. **

3. Would completely disregard my last statement and search out a complete engine and transmission swap. Like I said my engine runs strong and i've never had any problems until now. I could possibly always sell that and try to get some money back..

Let me know if you or know anyone you know that has run into this similar issue, and what the outcome was.

Cheer !

Last edited by thatwhitejk; 06-24-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would get a diagnosis first. It might be something simple not requiring a complete rebuild. From what I read the W5A580 is a pretty good transmission.

Bob R
Old 06-28-2019, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I would look into a diagnostic tool as well. I have and a lot of other people would recommend the Blue Driver OBD2 reader. They're $100 and read via a Bluetooth app on your phone. If your throwing lights and codes it will tell you what they are. And has a large database of what the fixes to specific codes were. I had issues with my 13 jku shifting weird, skipping and going into limp mode and it ended up being the crank shaft position sensor. A $30 sensor was the fix. I too would doubt the tranny is shot. It might be. But it also might be something simple. At least the blue driver will help eliminate the worst case scenario thinking and help you identify what is actually going on.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2 on the Crankshaft position sensor. It's under the jeep in the bell housing and takes 5 minutes to install. Not to be confused with the camshaft position sensor.

Quick Reply: Rebuild my transmission?