Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To regear or not to regear that is the question

Old 04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To regear or not to regear that is the question

Would I need to regear if I put bigger tires? Going from 225/75/R16 to 285/75/R16. I have an 07 X automatic and it came with the B package(don't know if that matters).
Would I have problems later with the diffs if I don't regear?
And Im not worried about if I rubbing issues I can always fix that.
I usually go camping up in the mountains, so no extreme off-roading.
Also is anyone running this kind of setup?
Thanks.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 3.21 gears manual transmission 4dr with toyo 295/70/17 and I was told no I do not have to and should not have any problems at all. My buddy has a 2dr auto 285/70/17 and was told he shouldn't go any larger and wouldn't have any problems...... That being said there are a lot of people who may disagree with me but this is just my opinion and what I was told. I think you will be fine.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

it depends on what gears you have now. I have a 08 X unlimited, C package with 3.73 gears. I run 35's for my daily driver. I was considering new gears and looking really hard. I even talked 4wheelparts into giving me a discount and getting gears, install kits, and installation out the door for 1200 bucks with lifetime warranty on it. But just the other day I drove from Cleveland ohio, to South columbus ohio 315mi round trip on ONE tank of gas.

Now the trade off is, I had to run at 80mph to get the engine at 2k rpm (where the 3.8 is happy). So I am still debating if I want to regear or not.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackmetal
Would I need to regear if I put bigger tires? Going from 225/75/R16 to 285/75/R16. I have an 07 X automatic and it came with the B package(don't know if that matters).
Would I have problems later with the diffs if I don't regear?
And Im not worried about if I rubbing issues I can always fix that.
I usually go camping up in the mountains, so no extreme off-roading.
Also is anyone running this kind of setup?
Thanks.
I would think your gearing is OK. The '07's with auto came with 4.10's... plenty stout enough. With my '07 w/auto, I went from the 225's up to 265's(31+") and now 32" Rubi's and I can't complain about the 4.10 gears. I do complain about the auto shifting and the useless overdrive on my daily commute thru hills tho...
Old 04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

You'll be fine.. The biggest problem on the JK is the Overdrive. Without regearing, it's pretty much useless in hills, and isn't much fun on the highway either... Unless, of course, you are doing 80 like cyberbrain haha So if you have any issues, just turn the Overdrive off. I have begun turning mine off when I get into hilly terrain and I am getting 18 mpg CITY!!! There is plenty of punch in 3rd so it works pretty well

Last edited by Mr.ZAP; 04-08-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: To regear or not to regear that is the question