Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing fenders?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing fenders?

I need some help with removing the fenders on an 08 JK. I looked at it last night and it looked pretty straight forward but the inserts holding the fender on are quite hard to get to.
I've searched the internet to see if there is a guide for doing such a thing but I haven't found anything that would help me.
Any advice or links to guides would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Junkie

look on here for a link on how to install the bush whacker flat flares. in the top of the writeup is a way to remove the others. 10mm bolts up front.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know first hand but I've heard that the trees know how. Seriously though, I was watching one of those gear head shows on TV the other day. And they were tricking out a 4 door JK with new stuff. One of the products was flat fenders. The removal process for the OEM flares was to simply grab the flare by one end. And just rip it off. I don't know if I would try that. But they did show it being done.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Junkie

Ripping it off is the easiest and most effective way, if you want to preserve the plastic clips get yourself a trim removal tool and work your way back and forth around the clips and you'll save the majority of them.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I got all the bolts removed, I used the flat palm of my hand and hit (rather hard) against the inside of the fender, perpendicular to the fender line. Once you get the first clip off, you will see how the clip works. Typically, the clip was left in place on the body. I then used a flat blade screwdriver and a pair of needle nosed pliers to carefully remove clips. The clips near the ends can get a little tricky to remove because the sheetmetal gets tight in those areas, but with patience it will all work out. Took me longer to remove the clips than it did the fenders.

I was able to save 75% of my clips using this method. Fortunately, the Rubi fenders I purchased had several clips still in them as well, so I didn't have to purchase any clips.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

I'd prefer not to be ripping anything off my Jeep
I did manage to get one of the rivets out and found out how they work and what you need to do in order for them to be removed.
The main problem is though, getting to them
Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

drill out the plastic rivets along the outer fender edge.

pull out the "Christmas tree" fasteners that hold the inner fender in using a trim removal tool or a pair of pliers.

remove the inner's

on the front take off the 10mm bolts that hold the "structured part" to the body

now you will be able to easily get to those stupid clips and remove them without breaking them.

But you'll need to get some rivet's and likely more christmas tree's to put it back together.

It's not hard, just go out there and do it!!!!

good luck
Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mjolnir
drill out the plastic rivets along the outer fender edge.

pull out the "Christmas tree" fasteners that hold the inner fender in using a trim removal tool or a pair of pliers.

remove the inner's

on the front take off the 10mm bolts that hold the "structured part" to the body

now you will be able to easily get to those stupid clips and remove them without breaking them.

But you'll need to get some rivet's and likely more christmas tree's to put it back together.

It's not hard, just go out there and do it!!!!

good luck

Thanks! That was quite helpful.
Looks like I'll be spending just a little money for some spare rivets and "christmas trees" but I don't minding spending a few bucks.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fadeout
Ripping it off is the easiest and most effective way, if you want to preserve the plastic clips get yourself a trim removal tool and work your way back and forth around the clips and you'll save the majority of them.
Just tear it off- destroying any clips that don't want to comply. Then if you really feel the need to save the clips (in this cAse replace the mangled ones that were just destroyed) autozone has them for like $2

Quick Reply: Removing fenders?