Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replace JUST the thermostat, not the housing

Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace JUST the thermostat, not the housing

Hello!

2012 JK wih 75k miles is throwing a thermostat code, autozone sold me JUST the tstat for about $12 (gasket was included). I see all the write-ups online are for the whole housing. Has anyone replaced just the tstat? I see the housing from the stealership is about $30, so if it is not recommended to replace just the tstat I will pick up a housing assembly.

Side note, my jeep is not overheating so if my tstat is stuck it must be stuck open. It is about 50 deg on some mornings as I'm leaving for work. I don't notice any extra time in the jeep reaching the correct operating temp, or any extra time in getting some hot air out of the vents to warmup. There might be a small effect on my gas mileage, but its not anything I would have thought about had my check engine light not been on.
Does this sound normal? Is 50 deg not cold enough to notice bad symptoms of a stuck-open tstat?\

Thank you,
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Regarding the thermostat/housing, my understanding up until now has been it is a one piece unit....ther thermostat was built in to the housing and not replaceable by itself. I'm not claiming that to be 100% accurate, just my understanding. That said, the housing is crap plastic. I'd just replace the housing/thermostat with the factory part if it were me. It's not that much additional and that plastic has been exposed to some decent heat in 75k miles.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

the housing on 2012-2014's is known to crack. I changed my 2014's recently and they have a better housing. I would change the housing as they tstat is included and it is cheap and easy as you need to pull the housing anyway to change it.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:01 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

P0128 code two thermostats (aftermarket and OEM no fix) replaced sensor and no problem now. Easy to replace on the 3.8.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had that code thrown for low coolant level. topped it off and CEL shut off.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

So after changing the thermostat sensor I have been having a loss of coolant for past 6 months, wasn't bad at first and thought it was the switch because coolant would pool at the base of the switch, removed and used some RTV on the threads but it continued to pool. Fast forward after keeping an eye and topping off occasionally it got worse to the point where I thought the block might be cracked but a closer look was I had a hairline crack in the thermostat housing. Finally changed the housing this weekend and now no leak.

Quick Reply: Replace JUST the thermostat, not the housing