Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replacing 3.8L engine w/ reman -- how to prime oil pump

Old 04-21-2017, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing 3.8L engine w/ reman -- how to prime oil pump

I'm getting ready to replace my 2011 3.8L w/ a new reman due to oil consumption issues.

Everything says that I need to pre-prime the oil system. However, I can't find anything is the factory service manual that actually says HOW to prime the oil system.

(I've searched on here as well, and haven't found anything either.)

The best I can guess is I need to install a nipple into the oil pressure sensor port, and force oil into the engine until it hopefully appears on the lifters. I've seen suggestions (for other engines) on everything from hand-pumps, to pressurized tanks.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to best do this for the 3.8L?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to deviate from your original question too much, but if you're able to wait just a little longer, Cummins is coming out with a 2.8L turbo diesel crate engine this year that is supposed to be VERY affordable and designed to be a direct swap. Just thought I'd put that bug in your ear, if you had not already seen that.

In regards to your original question, I'm not certain with the 3.8L V6. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with an answer. If all else fails, contact a vendor that sells replacement/crate engines (OEM) and they should be able to tell you. If you can't locate one, post back up and I'll help you source one.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Not to deviate from your original question too much, but if you're able to wait just a little longer, Cummins is coming out with a 2.8L turbo diesel crate engine this year that is supposed to be VERY affordable and designed to be a direct swap. Just thought I'd put that bug in your ear, if you had not already seen that.
Unfortunately not an option. My plan is to put in the reman, and let the rings seat and make sure it's all working properly. Then once it is, upgrade to a supercharger.. (likely a sprintex)

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
In regards to your original question, I'm not certain with the 3.8L V6. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with an answer. If all else fails, contact a vendor that sells replacement/crate engines (OEM) and they should be able to tell you. If you can't locate one, post back up and I'll help you source one.
I've already bought the reman. It says that I must pressurize the oil system (prime it) before starting it. However it doesn't tell me how. Nor does the factory service manual.

I'm a fairly competent shade tree mechanic, but I'm used to distributor style oil pumps that are easy to prime.

I've found things like: Pre-Lube Tank

But that seems awefully expensive. If there is a realiable cheaper way to do this 'right', that is what I'm looking for.

As I mentioned before, a nipple into the oil pressure hole, and a hand pump is the best alternative I've seen, but I don't know if that is going to work for the 3.8L or not.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry this isn't a helpful post, but where did you get your reman from?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
Sorry this isn't a helpful post, but where did you get your reman from?
RockAuto. They have two available. The cheaper of the two was out of stock, so I bought the slightly more expensive one. It says it was shipped from 'ATK'. This is the one they list as Famous Brand DDR3.

$2,478.79 + core $410.00 + shipping $127.99

(I do not plan to return my current core.)

The one I got is a 2010 block, and 2007 heads...
Old 04-23-2017, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The way I primed my older engines prior to starting does not apply to the distributorless ignitions. I would suggest pulling the fuel pump relay, make sure you fill the oil filter with oil prior to installing, make sure the oil level is normal on the dipstick and crank over the engine several times; verify the engine has oil pressure by removing the oil pressure sending unit and connecting a separate oil pressure gauge.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CharlesS
The way I primed my older engines prior to starting does not apply to the distributorless ignitions. I would suggest pulling the fuel pump relay, make sure you fill the oil filter with oil prior to installing, make sure the oil level is normal on the dipstick and crank over the engine several times; verify the engine has oil pressure by removing the oil pressure sending unit and connecting a separate oil pressure gauge.
That was my original thought. However the warranty sheet that came with the new block specifically says NOT to do that.

What I will probably do (unless anyone comes up with a better idea) is use the hand-pump to fill the cavities with as much oil as I can.. then pull the fuel pump as you suggested and spin the engine over to build up pressure before I start it.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlesS
And make sure you fully charge your battery and, if you can, have a fan blowing a lot of air across your starter because it will heat up. I used to always pull my plugs doing this too so the starter can spin the engine up faster getting higher oil pressure from the pump.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fray
That was my original thought. However the warranty sheet that came with the new block specifically says NOT to do that. What I will probably do (unless anyone comes up with a better idea) is use the hand-pump to fill the cavities with as much oil as I can.. then pull the fuel pump as you suggested and spin the engine over to build up pressure before I start it. Thanks!
How long ago was it built? If they pre-lubed during build you should have a film on all bearings, valve train, and the cylinder walls so spinning it up to deliver oil through the block shouldn't be an issue, but I didn't build it and it isn't my warranty you have to deal with.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
How long ago was it built? If they pre-lubed during build you should have a film on all bearings, valve train, and the cylinder walls so spinning it up to deliver oil through the block shouldn't be an issue, but I didn't build it and it isn't my warranty you have to deal with.
Unknown for sure. But based on the oil dripping off it when it was delivered, I'd have to say within the last month. So it's pretty wet inside.

Quick Reply: Replacing 3.8L engine w/ reman -- how to prime oil pump