Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Reverse Not Working! (Auto tranny)

Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Not Working! (Auto tranny)

Yesterday I put my JKU (Auto) in Reverse, but nothing happens, when put in Neutral, it actually in Drive!
I had to turn it off and put it in Neutral to roll it backwards, Fluid BTW is all good, and I have only 30,000 mile (50,000k) on my Jeep.

On my way home the Auto tranny act funny, gears change up and down, and the engine was revving high (almost up to 3k),
After I manage to pass 45 MPH (70kph) a popping sound appeared, and my Jeep went back to normal and I got the Reverse working again...

I don't know if it's related, but yesterday was very hot day, above 100F (38c)... could that affected the tranny oil pressure!?

Should I be concerned? can it be a safety issue if it happens again?

I called my dealer, but they told me that there is no point to bring it in if the problem is now gone... and that next time it's happen I need to tow it to them right a way...
Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got problems my friend, your forward clutch drum is sticking. Your gonna need a trans. Take it to the dealer it should have set some codes.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R.X-D
Yesterday I put my JKU (Auto) in Reverse, but nothing happens, when put in Neutral, it actually in Drive!
I had to turn it off and put it in Neutral to roll it backwards, Fluid BTW is all good, and I have only 30,000 mile (50,000k) on my Jeep.

On my way home the Auto tranny act funny, gears change up and down, and the engine was revving high (almost up to 3k),
After I manage to pass 45 MPH (70kph) a popping sound appeared, and my Jeep went back to normal and I got the Reverse working again...

I don't know if it's related, but yesterday was very hot day, above 100F (38c)... could that affected the tranny oil pressure!?

Should I be concerned? can it be a safety issue if it happens again?

I called my dealer, but they told me that there is no point to bring it in if the problem is now gone... and that next time it's happen I need to tow it to them right a way...
When you say the fluid is all good, did you check it warmed up, engine running, transmission in park or neutral?

If so, it could be as simple as the selector cable being out of adjustment.

Since you saw outside temps in the 100's, you may have overheated the transmission. The shift schedule changes drastically when the transmission makes it to somewhere over 230°F.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-11-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Reverse Not Working! (Auto tranny)